ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I went to a small car club get together on sunday and one of the cars there was a brand new M3. parked right next to my 300ZX SS. after the brunch, he asked me if I wanted to drive it, so we took my SS back to its garage and proceded to go up to the North Bay, which has a ton of twisty roads, to play around with the car. I got in the drivers seat and it fit me like a glove, the 3 series really is the perfect sized car for someone my size (5'7", 150lbs). the steering wheel was a bit thick for my taste but it was soft and would seem comfortable to grip for long trips.
I put it in gear and let the clutch out. VERY nice clutch. reminded me a lot of my SS clutch, so it was pretty much second nature. nice smooth engagement. I pulled out of the parking lot and onto the roads. the power delivery was very linear and nice. I was disapointed in one area though. I kept hear about how buttery smooth BMW shifters are. the gear changes were very tough. It wasnt my car so I didnt want to man handle the stick but Im sure I wasnt being hard enough on it. I was just surprised at how much effort it required to get it into each gear.
As we were on the twisty roads he showed me the difference between sport modes and the others, it was very aparent. the sport mode really does quicken throttle response! The steering was a mixed bag. I drove a regular 3 series last year at a GM driving event and I could feel EVERYTHING through the steering. it was like telepathic. I loved it. the M3 was a bit different. it was very smooth but not much feedback. it had that various ratio steering system, I think.
Then we got on the freeway. before this I had been shifting around 4000rpms to be easy on it and its habit for me becuase my SS power drops off after that and its redline is 6000rpm. the M3 was just getting STARTED at 4000 rpm so ont eh freeway he told me to floor it and dont shift. it was hard! and boy did we FLY. that car PULLS hard no matter how fast you are going! very intoxicating power.
The ride was stiff but not jarring. anyone that complains a M3 suspension is to hard doesnt belong in a peformance car, IMO. my SS rode a LOT harder. BMW chassis balance never ceases to amaze me. anyway, thats about it. stay tuned later tonight as Ill post my pix from the day when I get home from work

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Thanks for the write up - very interesting read! I've been infatiuated with BMW for some time but I don't have any money to support that kind of habit. It was interesting to hear a z31er's opinion as you compared it to your z31 several times (helps me to relate!).

Looking forward to the pics.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you liked the write-up.
i should add that a well running Z31 V6 is just as smooth as the 3 series inline 6. I was surprised at how much I could feel the engine as it revved up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Off the subject, I beat a 4th Gen. Trans Am yesterday. I was very very happy with my Z and its beautiful 3rd gear. I'm still grinning so I had to post it.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Ive just never been a fan of BMW styling, although its slowly growing on me I just cant see paying that much $ for a sports car that dosnt look "sporty".

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
BMW's are that way and that's what is attractive to their main audience (IMO). BMW's work well for professional people who can afford just about anything except looking too boastful, wild, or rash in front of their clients/employer because they are driving a serious looking curvy hot red sports car.

Between their handling and performance they tend to get away with it regardless :). I'd own one if I had the money - but they are expensive to buy and to maintain.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah... and I beat a 4th gen trans am... So there! and on a sadder not I got blown away by a new M3... Its all perspective eh?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.