ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 74 260Z stopped on me the other day. I've put in a new battery, changed the spark plugs and wires, and a new fuel pump. The alternator and starter work fine it cranks but doesn't start. Thats all of the stuff I know how to check. It started but it sounds like it's running out of gas. I know the fuel is getting to the carbs but it just won't start. Help me!!!!! I don't want to get rid of it but if i can't find what out whats wrong i'll have to sell it. Please help me if you can.

·
Registered
185 Posts
make sure you have at least a quarter tank of gas, and change your fuel filter. tha was the biggest problem i had on my 280

·
Registered
394 Posts
It looks like you have checked and replaced a lot of parts. How about spark at your plugs? Pull a boot off one plug and hold it close to the plug. Have someone try to start the car - you should see/hear the spark jump from the wire to the plug.

If you have nothing there pull the high tension wire from your coil and then hold it close to the center connection on the coil. Again have someone try to start the car. See if you have a spark trying to jump the gag between your coil and wire.

Be careful when doing this. The spark won't hurt too much, it will wake you up if your fingers get to close!

RLS30

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
There are far better mechanics on this forum than myself, but when your car stops "all of a sudden", makes you wonder what changed. Did you recently do something to the car? Add accessory, change timing, etc etc.

Trace those down and you may have the answer.

The only other one that I know can suddenly make your car go from sports car to burro cart is the advance slider inside the distributor. It is basically a plastic holder with some ball bearings, if not changed this might be very VERY old, and hence brittle. There have been several postings on it, and it also happened to me. What happens is that the vacuum advance pulls the advance on the distributor, and this mechanism has the spring and the ball bearings to return to the original position. Well if broken, you may be completely out of time, hence no starting or very poor starting. Check it out, it's below the plate for the points, or in the case of the electronic ignition, the sensor.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Zquest has a great answer, I also spray the aircleaner with starting fluid while someone is cranking the engine. If it starts and runs as long as you spray, the trouble is in the fuel system, and the electrical is ok.

Chrome

·
Registered
74 Posts
the early Z's aren't too complicated. its either fuel or electrical as the other posts have mantioned. Check for spark first as explained by the earlier posts. You've got the points so it could be the ignition coil (check as per manual).
the fuel also you can check fairly easily by seeing if its being delivered to the carbs. Loosen the supply line and turn the key in the ON position without fully starting the car and then catch the gas in an appropriate container (of course take all precautions). Don't think you have a fuel pump relay on the 260 unless someone adapted one along the years. Check electrical connections at the ignition switch also.
Come on now "you'll have to get rid of it" whats that all about? If you like the Z you'll figure it out and put the time in doing so. Hey you've got a 26 year old car, you have to expect these things but one you figure the Z's out you'll soon learn that they are as much reliable as they are an awesome looking car.
"school of hard knocks"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.