ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is another bitch and moan session by me... made to follow the same path as my previous post on this subject: here.

I have varied my driving habits dramatically, over the past couple weeks so I could get a good feeling for when this idiot light "wakes up".

Heres the facts I've discovered:
1. The brakes still have 99% of the stopping power I remember six months ago. Heh, I must've been smoking the crack when I thought they didnt. (Stupid ppl pulling out in front of me at the last possible moment brake checks..etc)
2. The light comes on [97% of the time] whenever I release the brake pedal, and depress the accellerator (more on this in #3). The light does NOT come on instantly upon release of brakes. Only when I depress the gas.
3. The light STAYS ON for as long as I am either at 0 vacuum, or in boost. Just to make sure, I was on a deserted stretch of road and floored it for as long as I could (before I saw the deer on the side of the road...i dont need a deer through my windscreen) then let off. The light stayed on continuously (was in boost whole time), until my release.

Seeing as how I am not experiencing any less stopping power, this really doesnt have me worried. Its more of an annoyance thing. Low priority stuff. Based on my new information above, and previous posts, anybody have any new ideas? I'm leaning towards the "sensor" thats supposed to be in the mastervac. Thats the only thing I can think of that would vary with boost/vacuum.

Thanks for all the help!
il82

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=224630&t=224630
^^ previous thread..in case my link above doesnt work ^^

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bah

Hah..everytime I post a topic within "length", it gets chopped. lol

I cant locate the "brake" light's drug dealer..

i know its not funny, but i can share anyways. :p~

il82

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Re: Brake light

Before you go crazy removing and replacing, do the items that you can do without much major work.

Most of this has already been suggested in your prior posting.

The brake light either reports the parking brake switch making contact or a difference between the front and rear halves of the brake system.

Since what you report is directly connected with the engine performance, skip the parking brake switch.

Check the system for low fluid levels, top off and monitor changes. If changes noted, then search for leak.

Check vacuum hoses connected to the brake system, etc for leaks, don't just VISUALLY check them, someone else posted a method by which you can check with a fluid. Try that.

Bleed the brake system. Air compresses while brake fluid does not, air in the system will give the mushy brake feeling you mentioned. As a last resort have the system drained and re-filled. Brake Fluid is notoriously susceptible to absorbing moisture affecting it's compression, draining restores that.

Replace the sensor.

All else failing, cheat, find a reputable MECHANIC, not just a parts replacer and find out how much he would charge.

For what it's worth.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Re: I cant locate the "brake" light's dr

there is an electrical short somewhere in wiring
back feeding juice into that circuit

is voltmeter jumpy? check fusible links for corrosion. check battery for cruddy
terminals

·
Registered
651 Posts
Re: I cant locate the "brake" light's dr

Only happens during hard acceleration? Did you try holding the parking break lever down. It could just be loose enough to activate the switch with the G forces pulling it back.
SoM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.