ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1979 280ZX, and I bought it from my dad whom bought it off the show room floor. It came with the stock AM/FM Radio and he later installed an auto-reverse cassette player. The problem I am having is that the FM has some how gone out, and my cassette player now eats every tape I put in it!

I'm assuming because the car is now 20 years old that things are going to go wrong more often. But why do I get AM but not FM? I've torn apart the radio mount and inspected the entire radio console and have even checked the antena cable.....nothing. I resorted to taking it to a professional and he told me he can't find anything wrong with it.

So I decided I might as well replace the radio, after all....it is 20 years old and I have a large collection of CD's I can only use in the house.

As fellow ZX owners, I'm sure your aware of the Amber lighting for the dash of my car, but when I go to car stereo dealers i.e, (Good Guys, Circuit City, Audio Zone, and even Crutchfield on-line) NO ONE carries new car stereos with Amber lighting, only the Emerald, Blue, and Yellow.

Call me a stickler, but I would like to have the same lighting on my car stereo as in the dash lighting as well.

Please help, whatever advice you can give or in whatever direction you can point me in, would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Carlos Shepherd
[email protected]

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: I can't find a new stereo with Amber lighting!

I have just put in a Eclispe stereo in my car and it has amber lights.I is made by Fusti Ten or some thing like that and is the same company that makes the factory radios for Toyotas.And because of that ,they have a radio that works well with import cars.My radio have two RCAs outputs, four channels, 35x4 watts, cd,also has a wire that you can hook up to the dash light and when you turn on the light your radio lights up.Not many radios have that.I think that it cheesey when you have the radio lights on all the time.Also you have telphone mute ,that when the phone rings it mutes it self. Plus a amp remote and a seperate anttnea remote.The anttena remote is for power anttneas it puts up the anttena only when the radio is on and not when the CD is on.In other words very, very,nice radio.

Also if you need the adapter for the big hole ,I used a Road sign to get the aluminum then cut it to make it fit the hole it looks good because it matches the interior of my car.

good luck Jason

P.S. Someone got the sign for me at a flea market.

Carlos Shepherd wrote:
-------------------------------
I own a 1979 280ZX, and I bought it from my dad whom bought it off the show room floor. It came with the stock AM/FM Radio and he later installed an auto-reverse cassette player. The problem I am having is that the FM has some how gone out, and my cassette player now eats every tape I put in it!

I'm assuming because the car is now 20 years old that things are going to go wrong more often. But why do I get AM but not FM? I've torn apart the radio mount and inspected the entire radio console and have even checked the antena cable.....nothing. I resorted to taking it to a professional and he told me he can't find anything wrong with it.

So I decided I might as well replace the radio, after all....it is 20 years old and I have a large collection of CD's I can only use in the house.

As fellow ZX owners, I'm sure your aware of the Amber lighting for the dash of my car, but when I go to car stereo dealers i.e, (Good Guys, Circuit City, Audio Zone, and even Crutchfield on-line) NO ONE carries new car stereos with Amber lighting, only the Emerald, Blue, and Yellow.

Call me a stickler, but I would like to have the same lighting on my car stereo as in the dash lighting as well.

Please help, whatever advice you can give or in whatever direction you can point me in, would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Carlos Shepherd
[email protected]

·
Registered
78 Posts
RE: I can't find a new stereo with Amber lighting!

i also have an eclipse stereo and i think it would be a good match. also, if you can find it, i think most denon car stereos have amber lighting, and the would be less expensive than an eclipse.
good luck

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>Buy the one you want and change it yourself.</b

Buy the radio you want and then get brave and take the face plate off of it. Most radios will either have colored rubber "socks" over the bulbs or colored plastic (celophane) over the area where the bulb is. Go to a local arts & crafts store and purchase a roll of celophane in your desired color. Cut a piece big enough to cover the lit area and put it back together. works great, I was a car stereo installer in a previous life and used to charge $50 to "customize" displays for people. On some models you may be able to change the appearance of the LED's also. Good luck

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: Buy the one you want and change it yourself

Go to crutchfield.com, browse there or order a catalog. They'll have what you need, all the adaptors and even the faceplate to fit the dash (at least they used to). For how cheap you can get radios these days, new is the best way to go.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: Buy the one you want and change it yourself

They did not have the wiring adapter for my car but the faceplate adapter. I had to use to orignal radio faceplate though (Did not want to do this because if I wanted to go back I could not).

Thanks for the idea on the celophane.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.