ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems like some questions are more important than the other and have people lining up to respond to 'em.
the other day i post a thread regarding boosting performance on my stock 240z L24,with an auto tranny,and got no reply.
pls guys dont leave me hanging :(

·
Registered
558 Posts
It's an interesting thing, this forum.
I know personally I don't comment much on pre79 cars, because that's all I've owned and know anything about (what little I do know that is).
Yet, that theory doesn't work because there are a lot of pre79 guys here.
I know I've posted and had no replies many a times.
Luck of the draw? Also time of day... who's on holiday... How you write your Subject line...
I think it's just a matter of reposting and taking a second chance.
Makes it harder here in Australia when I need a quick answer and all you guys are in bed asleep. :)
Need more Aussies!

·
Registered
311 Posts
i had the very same problem and though the archives are helpful attimes it failed me most times-good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
With a topic called "I can't believe it" it a wonder that anybody even clicks on this one either. I don't know what you used for your last topic, but if it is anything like this one, there is your answer as to why you got no response. Your topic should clearly indicate what your problem is and arouse interest in solving it. This forum is primarily designed and geared for sharing of information relative to a specific problem that one may encounter as a Z owner. "Boosting performance" in a 240Z is not a specific problem that can be resolved in one paragraph. You need to buy a book on the subject. Perhaps your topic should have been something like: "Need book on modifying 240Z"

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yes, these boards are very strange, but not any stranger than other boards on specific items where everybody has differing experinece and opinions. On this board--and most other-- you will ask a question like, "How do I connect A to B?" and you will get three answers: "When I was connecting C to D, I did it like this..." which does you no good...and "Good luck man, you should check the archives" which does you no good...and "I have found that when you do a specific gravity vacuum hallucination test study of A connected to B this way you get 4.3287 and when you connect A to B this way by modifying the electrode inside the control module of B so it reads 56 degrees you will get 4.57629047 on the same test" which does most of us no good.
I has to do with the three types of people in this world and--more specifically--on this board:

#1 The "Dude! My car's broken and I can't get to work" group.
#2 The wealthy and/or extremely mechanically inclined who require their Z's to be in peak condition at all times and only drive them when they want.
#3 A pretty big group in the middle who love their Z's and are relaxed in the driving and maintenance of them and use them alot even if they blow a little smoke or aren't shiny.

You have to post with topics like, "A 376 HP 260!" or "My car was stolen!" or "Cold air induction with worm-drive clamps for less than MSA!"

steve 77

·
Registered
311 Posts
winoman you speak the truth and thats all i can say,you really speak the truth!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
If your looking to keep building on performance like most of us here, I would suggest starting with a good set of headers and a free flowing exhaust system. A better air intake would probably be next. After that a cam, nice valve job, and so on. I have never owned a automatic Z, but if I did I would probably look to see if I could get a performance shift kit for the auto tranny. Just my thoughts. Hope this helps, and good luck!

·
Registered
226 Posts
i agree with ceasar and tyson. look at the archives. i'm getting tired of you (yes you personally) complaining about people not responding to your post. you've done it at least three times already and it's pretty pathetic. don't cry when the teacher doesn't call on you when your hand is up. nobody here is obligated to answer your posts, especially when the question has been answered before many times. look at the archives, check out the links section, and ask intelligent questions that ask for specifics. what do you expect us to give you? every mod possible to make your z go faster? cmon man.
madcowz

·
Registered
957 Posts
Re: Here I'll try to help you!!

Hi fark
Don't worry most of them here are not directing at you but just trying to help because so few know how to use the archives and yes they are a real pain in the ass to use sometimes especially on a broad subject like this...

Obviously you don't want a V8 conversion (good choice in my opinion as the 2.4 is fast enough to do any legal speed in the US and most of europe and still be able to get illegal as sh*t in speed too!!)

Some suggestions would be to ...
Strip out all smog related crap (as long as your car is smog EXEMPT where you live...should be due to age unless your in Nevada or a few others)

Get a header (6 to 1 is the preferred choice I believe but I'm sure you'll get disputes) and run at least 2.5" piping to the rear.

If you can afford it dump the auto and goto a 5 speed (unless you are not into racing then don't worry about it too much but they do rob power but it is nice if you do alot of city driving...you'll have to think about what you want...

Dump the 2 row radiator and get a 4 row or 3 row at minimum (240's are notorious for overheating with the cheesy radiator ..definatly do this one if you plan on doing alot of speed driving or you will get all to familiar with changing head gaskets...

Upgrade your ignition system ie. dual point electronic dist. and high performance coil and get some NGK wires and plugs...

Be sure to dissasemble and clean your SU's thoroughly and get them tuned in as close to perfect as you can..get the video from ztherapy.com (if they are still around I heard scott is selling the bussiness but if he is already gone MSA will have the video's available it is worth every penny!!!

If you have the money I would also consider having your head ported and polished..i am in the process of doing this to my intake and head

These are just a couple of suggestions that are very very easy to do ..they wont make your car a supercar but it will help to make it run at peak performance.. i run smog free with header, 8:5-1 compression, super coil, smog free and I love how my car moves... It may not be the fastest but It sure hangs well with faster cars and I even beat a older Z28 a couple of weeks ago and I ran with a vette (newer) one night on the freeway to about 125 when I stopped speeding up due to being afraid of the rumored front end lift off at 120+ mph's but I was still on his tail when I let off and then he did too and just thumbed up me!! ( he was a test fighter pilot for plant 42 I think...)
You will find out much more about your Z by starting with these mod's then if you wanna go faster still then you will need to consider either a Turbo L28 or a V8 swap.....

Hope this helps you some...

Z ya later
Mike K

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: mike,ozzy and z-speed.

thank you so much for the sincere effort and i wont even dignify the other postings with a response!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ozzy

Hey Ozzy,

I'm just accross the water from you - in Malaysia. Do you know where I could get some tail lights in good cond for a '71 240???

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sometimes.....

Searching is fun - sometimes!

I use either www.searchalot.com or www.yahoo.com and try my luck.

I also have my favourite sites in my "Favourites" section on my browser.

Now....if you goto http://www.zhome.com/ and go down the left to "Performance history and click on the Performance Data link, that will give you the stock specs. Whatever you do to your engine, tranny, diff, carbs/fuel delivery will go away from these figures.

PS I've had some sh*tty responses in the past, but I have had a look at how I ost a question and then give as much detail in my post as I can.

People do get fed up with seeing the same question over and over.. but then again, they shouldn't waste time responding if they have nothing positive to say! We must try to help each other on this post, but people shaould also try to help themselves. The internet is a huge resource and can be invaluable if it's used correctly.

You will find, if you click on "Search" at the top here, enter whatever keywords you want, put it to message body and then click all dates instead of last 30 days, that your answer will most likely have come up before.

Please don't take anything negative to heart. Grow with it and enjoy the Z experience - it'll cost you a lot of money but it sure is fun!!

Peace dude!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.