ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what could this mean... a slight miss at idle... and at RPM... could this be timing... dizzy... plugs? I'm over due for an oil change.. (been more than 3months... I think) help! thanks

Dan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's a couple things to check: Sometimes the injectors lose contact with the electrical connectors because they get corroded or loose(why, I don't know, it really sucks) and this could be causing the problem. With most the Z's I've dealt with, you can actually tell which injectors are "missing" by putting your fingers on the injector itself; you'll feel it "ticking" away. You can also hear it if you've got an automotive stethoscope. Otherwise, remove one plug wire at a time (loosen them with the car off so you're not struggling with them while it's running); each wire you remove that is "hitting" will cause a notable difference in the idle. If you remove a wire and there is no difference, or much less difference than with the others, check that injector's connection and make sure it's clean and tight. Be careful with the little wire bail that holds them on, don't lose it. Also, the plastic connectors are often brittle, so treat them like gold. This is the same method you would use to locate a bad plug... so check the plug on that same cylinder. I've not had spark plug problems with any of my Z's, but that doesn't mean your's doesn't!! If you clean/tighten the injector connector, and clean/replace the plug and you've still got a weak hole, you might also check the distributor cap and the wire that leads to that cylinder. These are the basic things I check whenever my cars start to sputter. Hopefully you'll find your miss!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
One thing i noticed with my 82 280zxt.....

I have an exhaust leak, i can hear it on the driver side, right near the door. Now if i listen careful and watch my idle at the same time....they coinside....

I think its kinda odd, but its true. Now this might be something with yours also...so listen for leaks. P.S. check all vacuum hoses.....this is a universal problem solver with these Z's ( i just fixed my AC by replacing a faulty vacuum hose =)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys

appritiate it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.