ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am certain there will be a huge variety of opinions on this one....

I bought my 85 NA about 6 mos ago...threw in a nice stereo and got rid of the sagging ass end by putting on the Tokico HP kit all around. (Shock&Springs)
Love the car, but want to get some more hustle out it without going nuts...

I just sold an 11 second car and am looking for my Z to be more reliable. Around mid fourteens would be great....

Any recommendations?

PS- domdogg123, You have great info on your site! for those who haven"t seen it, check out www.redz31.com

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
woah woah woah..... www.redz31.com is Jason84NA2T's website, not domdoggs. It is definitely a great website however! Domdogg is a good, knowledgeable person as well.

If you wanted more hustle you probably shouldn't have bought an NA, but I know how you feel as I have an 85 NA as well. There isn't a lot you can do (affordably) to get any serious power gains without getting a turbo under that hood in some fashion. The turbo swap is fairly well documented but it would have been much easier to buy an 85 turbo before you invested any money into it.

You could definitely get mid 14's out of a moderately modified turbo z31.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
You won't see mid 14's unless you use Nitrous. The fastests I've seen a heavily modded Z31 non turbo run was 14.7. That car had all the bolt ons, head work, cams, etc. I suppose if you did everything possible and spent a butt load on a build up low 14's could be possible but do you really want to spend 10k building up a non turbo when for 500 bucks a turbo Z can run 13's? It's a hard fact for us non turbo 300zx owners to realize but these cars just won't go down the track very fast. With basic stuff that won't cost you too much you can run 15's. By basic I mean intake, exhuast, headers, high flow cat, JWT ECU. Basicly the same set up I have on my 300zx. Then again for the cost of all those mods you could buy another 300zx that is turbo, then sell your non turbo 300zx and use that cash to mod out your turbo 300zx to a 13 sec car. Honestly don't waste your money modding your non turbo if speed is really an issue. Speed wasn't an issue with my 300zx so thats why I didn't mind doing a few mods. If you are used to an 11 sec car like you say then you really need to get a turbo 300zx.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
13 sec Z31 NA.....w/ nitrous....

<http://www.zfilms.org/SportZMag/2004.09.03.Ryan87.13.37.at.102.23.wmv>

right-click save as....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My family owns a 68,000 square foot restoration shop. (check out www.flashbackmotorworks.com) thus, I get Ferrari techs working on my car for free. We have a machinist on site so the headwork and port and polish would be dirt cheap...aka cost! To stay NA, any suggestions on piston sets, cams or other internals to research? I have pretty much settled on just building the NA back up with performance gear.

I bought this car over a turbo because of the condition. Every turbo I found had some level of issue and the seller wanted 6 grand for a 2500 car. Even Zcar Atlanta, a supposedly reputable shop, wanted 3500 for a beater.

I bought this car for 2600 . . . The body needs little to no body work, the t-tops have yet to leak on me, and the original seam foams are still soft!!! Having spent years around restoration projects, I know a good sled and this one is a 8.5 out of ten right out of the box. I have painted cars before and have access to a 75,000 dollar paint booth. Needless to say I am going paint it this winter. Plans are to remove all the black trim, flush the recessed areas to the rest of the body, and color match the bumpers.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I agree with red october. If you have someone doing the port and polish work that doesn't know how to work on these VG heads you could end up losing hp rather than gaining it. As for pistons and other internal parts I would just stick with stock. No point in upgrading them since you don't need to. As for cams it's up to you how aggresive you want to go. If you can find one get a cam gear. I think Morgan from z31.com was making them but stopped. You might be able to find one used. Don't be expecting to find too many parts available and look to have things custom made. One last thing I'll mention. You can port and polish the heads, cams, etc but if you are still running the stock intake manifold you will still not achieve the max hp from the motor. Engloid from z31.com was making custom plenums (upper intake manifolds) that are much better than stock. He also stopped making them so good luck trying to find one. Honestly you are still going to end up spending more money trying to mod this out than you can buy a turbo Z, even with your "hook ups." Just do a turbo conversion if you like the current body condition of this particular Z.

·
Registered
657 Posts
im going to have to agree with 280z/300zx on this........ you want a new intake........ if you have access to the machinery and you have the ability than mybe you could report your intake........ or just get a pathfinder intake, portmatch it and get a 240 tb. this would be the better choice and would be easier..... i know there is a write-up on it somewhere....... someone will point you in the right direction......... also like everyone said, Nos.......good luck....

just another thought......

you might want to invest in an LSD or a vLSD rear end...just to get you off the line quicker...... and a 5speed if you dont allready.

Post Edited (May 31, 7:16am)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read something about the pathfinder intake and having to modify the hood to fit it.... Anyone have more info on this?

I already found the 240sx throttle body ($25) and a maxima alternator ($80) . I have U-Pik auto salvage holding them for me until saturday. (gotta love the salvage yards in Georgia. Atlanta traffic keeps em packed)

Also, I have been researching headers and exhaust systems... anyone find anything out there besides the monza exhaust? Cats are cats, so that is easy... but I only found 1 set of headers....any updates here?

Lastly, my tranny is the FS5W71C 5-speed. Any truth to being able to use a 240sx short throw shifter? A bunch of folks in a Silvia forum swear the B&M and the Nismo bolt right on....

BTW, to everyone....you guys rule! thanks for all the great info. This winter I will shoot a bunch of pics with all the cosmetic work... That is my better area of knowledge....

·
Registered
861 Posts
NA1985ZX, email me at [email protected].

I can give you an alternate opinion on how to achieve what you want if you have the time and patience.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Try www.zcarparts.com for performance parts. Also try www.zbarn.com and www.zcarsource.com for those hard to find used parts; these guys are all Z car junkyards that have fair prices and know their stuff. For the headers get the ones from www.zcarparts.com also known as Motorsport Auto. Make sure you get the optional jet hot coating. If you want to know why do a search on jet hot coating. As for exhuast systems it's much easier to just have a local shop do a custom exhuast system rather than buy one. Also stay away from Monza or Pacesetter products. They are poor quality and don't fit well. As for the intake manifold the best thing to do is to open up the stock one and gut it out. It's essentially what Engloid did with his. Try looking him up to see if he'll share his "secretes" with you. As for the pathfinder manifold I wouldn't do it. There are soo many things you have to do to make it work it isn't worth it when you can just gut the stock manifold. Do a search for pathfinder intake manifold and you should find some info on it. Intake is easy, just make your own. Definetly get a 3.7 lsd differential. Motorsport Auto, aka MSA, also carries several cams for the 300zx. As mentioned before I wouldn't worry about pistons too much unless you are looking to really raise the compression and/or be using NOS. Lastly the heads. As mentioned before make sure who ever works on the heads knows how to work on the 300zx head specificly. Just becuase a shop knows how to work on performance heads for one car doesn't mean they know how to do it for another car. Make sure you get a Z expert to work on those. In fact you may find someone here or at z31.com that may be willing to do your heads for you. Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the great feedback. I have done some searching in my area and found a shop that does nothing but Nissan tuning and machining. They are 2 hours away, but there work is awesome... Plans are for the motor to go to them when I paint it this winter. They had a good plan for the head and intake, new cam, and a nice honing/bottom end rebuild.

I just dropped off a 3.7lsd at my powder coater and it should be in the car by month's end. Our fabricator at the shop bent me some new 2.5inch pipes, I got a free flow cat, and a Flowmaster 40-series muffler waiting to go in at the same time. Lastly, I ordered off of ebay a Nismo short throw shifter for the 240sx/s14/s15. My car has the FS5W71C tranny, so it should be an easy swap. (I hope)

Thanks Again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.