ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to the Nissan dealerships on Monday to have a diagnostics run on my car is there anything thing else I should have them look at...
I think there is something wrong with a component in my fuel system.... would there be any symptoms of parts getting ready to stop working like my fuel pump???

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no 1 else has been able to help me so far....tiered of people guessing it might be this or that(shops).....

Post Edited (Jun 18, 5:04pm)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeh, I gotta go to a Nissan dealership to have my electrical problem fixed. 2 shops I took it to allready said they don't know the electrical system of my Z. It's just better to go to the dealership then going from one shop to another wasting money for them to just say "We don't know the electrical system of your car, take it to the dealership".

Anyways, good luck man.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Actually it's not better. What some people fail to realize is that most of the dealership workers don't even know what a 300zx is let alone know how to work on them. Just a few weeks ago I went to go get a hose for my 84 and one of the two parts guys didn't even know what a 300zx was. The other guy did but didn't have the slightest clue as to what I was talking about. After spending 20 minutes describing the part, showing him with my haynes manual, and looking on the computer and said forget it. Talked to a couple mechanics as I left and they said that they hadn't seen an 80's 300zx for about 5 years. As far as a diagnostic goes you realize that all they are going to do is run the ECU codes which is something you can do yourself at home. All it requires is a flat head screw driver and your haynes manual to translate the codes. **** you don't even need the haynes manual, run the codes and post them here and we can tell you what the codes mean. Not sure what your exact problem is but yes there are some symptoms when certain fuel parts are going out or are weak. The simplest way to check your fuel system to make sure you are getting pressure is to use a fuel gauge at different points in the fuel lines to see what the psi is. Like domdogg123 said I hope you brought some lube becuase you are going to get ******. Don't be surprised if they end up screwing up your car more than it is now. Good luck. Last thing, if you really want to take it to the dealer you should at least go and talk to the head mechanic and make sure that at least he knows how the 300zx works and is familiar with it. I would ask some quiz like questions to test his knowledge.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
the dealership will charge you the highest labor rate out there and not necessarily solve the problem. these cars are not that difficult. the fuel system is the same as any modern fuel injected car, same with the electrics. their's nothing special about a 300zx that can't be repaired by a good mechanic. ie, he knows what he's doing ,understands the technology. and has a good information source. if the man says "i think it could be blah blah" keep looking, if he says "let me run some tests" you've found him. of course he still won't be cheap. don't consider anyone who wants to try parts at your expense.

Post Edited (Jun 18, 7:56pm)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does someone know anyone better to go to in the Syracuse area?
I need to have something done soon; I don’t have very much time between now and my travels to Florida and Maryland

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.