ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night, another trip out too my brothers house(88hybrid), had me in the hybrid for a ride in the car after he spent most of the day tuning the beast.
the first ride i took, was right off the ramps, after just finishing assembly of the final project, which took about 5 months. that ride alone was very interesting, and fast. the car absolutly flew, but it was not dialed in and hadnt been fine tuned for the best performance, we both new what stilll needed to be done. (getting the MOTEC hooked up and getting all the important bells and whistles optomized) So yesterday he had the car tuned and dialed for the first time since the project has been finished, and the ride went somewhat like this.

1. As i got in the car, i remembered to fasten my seatbelt.( because its needed to feel somewhat safe when it spools)

2. As the engine fires up, you could instantly tell that this car is a reliable,everyday driver, that seams just as frindly as my 85 n/a. ( the only diff. is that its loud as f#%k!) exhaust is still left to hookup.

3. driving down his street felt like i was back in the hybrid, as i knew the car to be, before the last major mod. it drove perfct and just felt the same.

4. pulling on to a major road as he got into the throttle just a little it, told a different story, when i heard it start to spool, then he shifted before the boost realy came on. thinking to my self that maybe all this work was for nothing, because it felt like the old car.

5. pulling away from a stop light, he shifted to second without boosting it, then shifted to third, turned and looked at me, then smiled , and then all i can say is OMFG!!! he boosted it up to about 6500rpm. as i was stuck to the seat, and he hit 4th, boosted again, i glanced over at the speedo, as it was passing 120, all i could think was OH MY GOD!!

6. So the moral of the story is this. with all the killer one-off mods, and the determination of a skilled mechanic, and the 88 z car for which he had to work with, 88hybrid accomplished something straight out of a magazine. That car is so friggin fast, and so good lookin, that it shold be a cover story in a/any magazine.

So in closing, anyone who knows kevin, and knows his car, should go to his house and demand a ride. you will absolutly **** in your pants. i 've been in some really fast cars before, but this is by far the fastest "turbo" car i have ever ridden in. If you want to race kevin, you better be in a ?????? i dont know, i was gonna say a modded C5, but if it is a modded C5, it better be trick, because hybrids car is a flat-out, down-rite rocket ship!!! And if you doubt that this car is this fast, good!! because when he goes by you like your standing still, youll know then.

WAY TO GO KEVIN!!! WHAT A VERY TRICK< VERY CLEAN< VERY FAST 88' NISSAN 300ZX YOU HAVE!!!!!!! IM JEALOUS!!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Get a camera, steal a camera, i dont care... Just get this on film and post it!!! I cant wait to see this car in action.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I love the way a turbo sounds when its spooling.. You floor it you hear nothing but exhuast and then as the boost comes up the exhaust note fades away and turns into a loud jet sound. Hybrid get that boosted z to the track!! Sounds like you will be moving on too your drivetrain next.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i thought the whole time you were talking about a "hybrid" car...which recently in an article in some big magazine or NYT showed that by decreasing your mpg, you get a huge power boost...because the motor is more efficient (physics term, not gas wise...it would now get about 22mpg instead of 40+) The boost would be about 150mph...so many car companies are going to start making sports cars that are hybrids, just with a minimal gas efficiency gain (though you could see it as a gain if compared to another similar power outputting motor)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Ok,Ok, allready!! Quit giving me a BIG head!! Yes this car is Very fast. I could only tune it to 10 psi. The injectors are working too hard for anymore boost. With 500cc injectors, I believe this car is capable of well over 450rwhp. The only thing I dont like, is with the combo of retarded Cam gears, and Large T-4, and 3:90 gears, it is a dog in first, and has little low end grunt, but.... after 3500 (which in motion with these gears I am Always 3500 on the highway at 70mph) It pulls EXTREAMLY HARD until I shift it. I WILL be putting Valve Springs in it, as I shifted at 6800 rpms, and the car still wanted more. Id like to see 7300-7500 rpms.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
screw the butt dyno! I wanna see a real dyno graph! :p any bets on what the number will be?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was on the interstate today and was doing 70 at 3000 . All I have is a plain 300zx n/a and its an 84 at that so is my tach wrong? or what?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have the 3:90 with a turbo tranny (T-5), a bit different ratio.

Colin, I have been searching for this"ghost miss" since the SDS was installed. I will figure it out one day. Probably when I install the Areomotive fuel system.

Power numbers right now, well... at 6800 rpms, My ECU shows that I am running 105% duty cycle (Not good) And im running 45psi fuel pressure. I am probably pushing easy 340rwhp. @ 10psi. I think this setup could make over 550 rwhp with proper tuning, and the right injector. I didnt think that I would only get 10psi!!!! The intake allows MORE than enough air at any RPM. Plus.. I think I need a little more compressor!. We'll see after the injectors are replaced, and I tune it to over 18 psi.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sounds like a crazy ass Z! I wanna see a dyno chart and some 1/4 mile times!

Post Edited (Oct 3, 6:10pm)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.