ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hybrid: I was going to be replacing my motor mounts because one has gone bad, and since I have plans on eventually replacing my intake manifold with something more suitable for a high horsepower car, I was considering lowering the engine now and possibly using some urethane mounts as you did. I had some questions on the matter though..

If I lower the engine stance, do I need to make new tranny mounts and lower that as well, or will the stock tranny mounts accomodate the lowered position?

What is the benefit of using harder urethane mounts, or even solid mounts, instead of softer mounts?

Do you ever have problems with your oil pan hitting speed bumps with your engine sitting as low as yours is?

I heard lowering your engine changed its handling, and I was just wondering what types of differences you're feeling.

Thanks in andvance for the help.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If I lower the engine stance, do I need to make new tranny mounts and lower that as well, or will the stock tranny mounts accomodate the lowered position?

I didnt, and it works fine. Your shifter base may sit up against tranny tunnel, and could cause a vibration. Not harmful though.

What is the benefit of using harder urethane mounts, or even solid mounts, instead of softer mounts?

Solid mounts do not allow any movement of the engine, and that results in more torque to rear wheels, and better feel. It really is better. Bad side is, you will feel that motor idle, and rev up thru vibrations transmitted thru Chassis. Poly, is solid, yet helps with vibration.

Do you ever have problems with your oil pan hitting speed bumps with your engine sitting as low as yours is?

No, The pan hangs 1/2 inch lower than Cross Member. Plus.. I slow down over Speed Bumps! ; )

I heard lowering your engine changed its handling, and I was just wondering what types of differences you're feeling.

YES.. Probably one of the MOST noticable changes I made to the car. I dont really say much about how my car handles. The only way to discribe it is... Stock,.. Imagine a bar stool with wheels. Traveling forward, and you turn to the right , you body will want to "pull" you in the direction of the turn and over.

Now take that bar stool and lower it 2ft. Youre weight is now lower, and Inertia will have a much harder time pulling you over at the same rate of speed, allowing you to try it faster.

Its like a Snake slithering side to side thru the grass. It is, like I said, a very noticable Modification. I thought all the Suspension work I done was Great. This is Better.

Post Edited (Oct 25, 11:03pm)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.