ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey this is a really straight forward question... what is the Cheapest, most efficient and quickest way to make HP?? I have a 73 with 72 carbs. i have heard of Grose jets and Sm needles, headers and intake filter and triple carbs and different differentials and different tranny's, WHICH makes the most difference and which makes the most HP? Which is cheapest and which works good?? Please list your improvements that are cheap and that add hp, the K&N filter are $$$$ so i mean CHEAP!!!!!

BC

·
Registered
358 Posts
> Hey this is a really straight forward
> question... what is the Cheapest, most
> efficient and quickest way to make HP?? I
> have a 73 with 72 carbs. i have heard of
> Grose jets and Sm needles, headers and
> intake filter and triple carbs and different
> differentials and different tranny's, WHICH
> makes the most difference and which makes
> the most HP? Which is cheapest and which
> works good?? Please list your improvements
> that are cheap and that add hp, the K&N
> filter are $$$$ so i mean CHEAP!!!!!

> BC

As far as most Hp per dollar, you best bet would be a L28 with a turbo! Yeah, I know, that's out of the question, so I would just look at all the performance upgrades you can make, and start with the cheapest bolt-ons first. But be carefull, don't just buy bolt on stuff because it's cheap! A good qualtiy 2 1/4 exhaust with a performance muffler (NO cheap crap hear) would yield noticable improvements without costing a ton. But, if you can't even afford air filters, be satisfied with what you have and just make sure the carbs are tuned perfectly. Pick up a Haynes or something.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Get a L28, put your 72 240Z carbs and intake on it. Use the factory electronic ignition, add a header and good free flowing exhaust.
I friend of mine found a totaled 78 280Z with a good motor for $125. We pulled the motor, and ignition and put it in his 71 240Z with his carbs, a header and 2 1/2 exhaust. We also added a electric fuel pump.
As for hp/$ I'm guessing he has about 200hp maybe more. It makes his old L24 motor feel like a 4cylinder.
Total cost of the covertion all additional parts was about $400, but he ended up selling parts off his 280Z doner car, so in reality his cost was under $300. Cost per hp about $1.50 per hp maybe less as I guessed on motor output.
> Hey this is a really straight forward
> question... what is the Cheapest, most
> efficient and quickest way to make HP?? I
> have a 73 with 72 carbs. i have heard of
> Grose jets and Sm needles, headers and
> intake filter and triple carbs and different
> differentials and different tranny's, WHICH
> makes the most difference and which makes
> the most HP? Which is cheapest and which
> works good?? Please list your improvements
> that are cheap and that add hp, the K&N
> filter are $$$$ so i mean CHEAP!!!!!