ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i listen to all types of music and would like to make my car sound beter. I already have 5 1/4 in the front and 6x9s in the rear. i want to add a single 8 in kicker solo baric with a kenwood 100x1 amp. would this setup be good or should i use a bigger amp? I am on a budget. i also have a kenwood 40x4 reciever.
thanks
matt

·
Registered
432 Posts
> i listen to all types of music and would
> like to make my car sound beter. I already
> have 5 1/4 in the front and 6x9s in the
> rear. i want to add a single 8 in kicker
> solo baric with a kenwood 100x1 amp. would
> this setup be good or should i use a bigger
> amp? I am on a budget. i also have a kenwood
> 40x4 reciever.
> thanks
> matt

Matt, i have almost exactly the same setup: kenwood krc-555, looking for a kenwood-powered 8 sub, already have the 6 x 9's, plus i have a pair of 1 tweeters in the upper corners of the windshield. i can't believe your unit at your house is more than 100w, so why would you need any more than that in your little car??

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> Matt, i have almost exactly the same setup:
> kenwood krc-555, looking for a
> kenwood-powered 8 sub, already have
> the 6 x 9's, plus i have a pair of 1
> tweeters in the upper corners of the
> windshield. i can't believe your unit at
> your house is more than 100w, so why would
> you need any more than that in your little
> car??
What are u talking about in my house? i don't have a 100 watt system in my house?

·
Registered
403 Posts
> 40x4 reciever.
> thanks
> matt
Well, I used to have a system in my car until my CD player ate itself and I said screw it and yanked it all out. I had a 12 woofer in a sealed 2.5 cu ft box pointing backwards pushed by a 200 watt rms amp (actually 2 100 watt channels bridged mono) and it was just about right, without being something everyone could hear from 3 miles away. I don't think what you're proposing would sound bad, but it may be slightly underpowered in an already noisy environment like an older Z usually is. I also had 4X50 RMS running the front speakers and rear fill, and considering all the mediocre components it sounded pretty good. An option I eventually intend to persue is using a sealed enclosure made from the spare tire well (which handily on a 72 240 works out to exacly 2 cubic feet)As for how to measure the volume of your tire well, I used a cheezy yet effective method. I have a TI-85 Calculator that does volume conversions, so I just converted Gallons to Cubic inches (or feet if you prefer) Then, I measured using gallon jugs etc and filled it with water. Not terribly romantic but it's alot less bs than trying to estimate it using calculus, plus it's probably more accurate considering all the irregular surfaces in the tire well. Just another option you may wish to consider. I personally prefer the sound of a sealed enclosure as it is technically more accurate, it does however require more power to obtain the same volume. So now that I think about it 100watts may be enough for a solobaric enclosure. If you make the cover for the well out of mdf and just use the appropriate raw speaker to complement the volume of your tire well, it probably would be pretty close in cost to the enclosure and speaker, plus it won't take up the valuable cargo space that there's very little of in the Z.

Anyways, just another idea for you.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
The setup you describe sounds pretty good. I have two KAC-716 amps (100x1) in my truck. To get the best sound out of your amp in a Z, I would suggest using a 10 inch MTX Blue Thunder in a 1.5 cu.in bass tube.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
The setup you describe sounds pretty good. I have two KAC-716 amps (100x1) in my truck. To get the best sound out of your amp in a Z, I would suggest using a 10 inch MTX Blue Thunder in a 1.5 cu.ft.bass tube.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> 40x4 reciever.

That 100 watt amp sounds good for one 8 speaker. I have two 8's in a bandpass box getting 30 watts (alpine) each and it hits pretty **** hard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.