ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so from what everyone has told me the only way to get the most bang for my buck is to go turbo, so what do u think is the best way to go about this with out selling my z, cuase i could never see her.

buy a turbo?
buy a turbo engine
get a turbo off an old z? will that even work?
get a fairlady engine? I wish

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yup get a turbo engine and drop it in?

And why would you want a fairlady engine?

·
Registered
353 Posts
yea buy a jdm engine , im pretty sure the came with more power because of cams , if i could go back before i bought my donor car i would have maybe gone with an rb instead , there is so much proven aftermarket for that engine , and i dont know how hard it would be to line everything up to work but im assuming it wouldnt be too hard if you know your stuff, maybe somebody buying a crossmember from a skyline and checking if it would bolt up easily( i have seen them on ebay the look identical but who knows the length) and if not then selling it to somebody else that has use for it would answer my question( im sure other people have already tried that) , but if your looking for the cheapest direction deffinetly buy a donor car , i bought one for 800 bucks and i sold some random leftover stuff from the donor car like the rims and seats and i have made 400 bucks back, and i still have to sell my n/a motor and the auto tranny , maybe ill make anotyher 300 or 400 from that meaning that i almost spent no money getting the donor car and swapping the engine into my car , except for my time and sweat wich has been so worth it.

if you can find a crossmember from a 200zr (rb20det) i think you can bolt up the bigger rb engines with out mods, inlines i think may be better engine than v's but dont take my word for it.

if you buy a donor car with a rusted out body for cheap you will have everything you need to do the swap and more.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I would definetly buy a turbo donor car. Swapping in an RB sounds like wayyyy too much of a headache for me. You'll have to figure out the engine mounts, tranny setup, engine management, and get all of that to work with the stock z31 stuff.

VG30ET > RB20DET

·
Registered
353 Posts
again ... if anybody could find out if the crossmember might fit(crossmember from a skyline) most likely r32, you wouldnt have to worry about mounts, the tranny ..i think that tinkering around and maybe changing bell housing you can get it to work , fitting the wiring harness and maybe cutting and splicing of some sort can get that done.

remember the 200zr is a z31 and i am pretty sure the crossmember from a 200zx would bolt right up to any z31.

i have seen other z31 in the net that have done it succesfully, and i heard theres was somebody making a kitin z31tech.net i believe, so it might be easier than you think.

also about the displacement i would start off with the rb25det and bore it out and put a fat turbo on that dream of mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.