ZCar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed and replaced wiper motor, am now wipers go beyond park position, How do I correct this problem?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Remove the wiper arms, turn on/off the wipers to place the system into its default (off) position. Reinstall the wiper arms so they stop at the bottom of the windscreen. Test/readjust if necessary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove the wiper arms, turn on/off the wipers to place the system into its default (off) position. Reinstall the wiper arms so they stop at the bottom of the windscreen. Test/readjust if necessary.
In the default position I placed the blade in a vertical position it then went to the bottom of the window where it should go, when I turn of the system it went back to the vertical position. maybe I need to adjust the linkage where it connects to the motor.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
In the default position I placed the blade in a vertical position it then went to the bottom of the window where it should go, when I turn of the system it went back to the vertical position. maybe I need to adjust the linkage where it connects to the motor.
I'm not sure what "default" position you're using, but the default (off) position I'm referring to is with the wiper arms in a horizontal position, about an inch above the bottom of the windscreen. If in doubt, refer to the factory service manual for details.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
So, it seems what you're seeing is that the blades are moving "backwards" when you turn them on. And only making a half swipe down to the cowl?
I seem to recall a situation on zcar where someone had got the arms links "crossed", or the link was attached when the cam was in the wrong rotated position to the "cam" on the motor that had the blades acting like this.
If you can use the search function for "wipers" and scan back over the topics you may find something.
Or someone can send you a picture of the links-to-motor layout for a comparison.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
So, it seems what you're seeing is that the blades are moving "backwards" when you turn them on. And only making a half swipe down to the cowl?
I seem to recall a situation on zcar where someone had got the arms links "crossed", or the link was attached when the cam was in the wrong rotated position to the "cam" on the motor that had the blades acting like this.
If you can use the search function for "wipers" and scan back over the topics you may find something.
Or someone can send you a picture of the links-to-motor layout for a comparison.
The answer is simple and your case is also very common. Before installing your new wiper motor, be sure to plug it in, activate it with the switch and then turn the switch off and make sure the wiper motor goes to the park or default position from every speed. That way you know the motor is working ok, and you know that it's in the correct position. Now for the part where a lot of people screw up. The tail piece of the wiper linkage that bolts to the motor has to be placed in the correct position. It should be pointing towards the drivers side wiper pivot for the left hand drive cars. Once you get the motor and linkage all bolted down you should activate the motor using the switch, and making sure that your wiper pivots are parking on the down position. Going to park they should go counter clockwise and stop. Then put the cowling and arms in place. If you ever see a wiper arm on these cars go down to park and then go up a couple of inches and stop in that position then you have the wrong tail piece on your wiper linkage. The slots in the wiper linkage are timed and there are at least 2 if not 3 different timed slots from 70-78 and they aren't interchangeable between models.
Z man of Washington

1 - 6 of 6 Posts