ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove the crankshaft pulley in an automotic trannie ... 79zx? the manual tells me to put it the lowest drive gear... but that doesn't seem to work... neither does park(after I think about this I know why it won't work ... I hate automatics!) so how do I take it off withouth taking of the trannie???
Akito '79

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
There are quite a few ways that I have done. One is to use an impact wrench, but with the motor in the car there is usually not enough clearance with the radiator. Two is to wedge a wrench, breaker bar, or something similar onto the torque convertor or between the convertor and flexplate. I haven't worked on a auto z in awhile, but I seem to remember the flexflate has large circular holes in it. Remove the dust cover and run a bar through one of the holes so that it will press against the block and stop the motor from turning over. Third, you can pull off the valve cover and hold it there. Either the cam will have wrench flats on it that you can grab, or you can hold it at the timing chain gear. One of those methods should work for you. I'd try holding the flexplate first. Good luck.
greg
71 240z

> How do I remove the crankshaft pulley in an
> automotic trannie ... 79zx? the manual tells
> me to put it the lowest drive gear... but
> that doesn't seem to work... neither does
> park(after I think about this I know why it
> won't work ... I hate automatics!) so how do
> I take it off withouth taking of the
> trannie???
> Akito '79

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try this....it works! First, disconnect the ignition wire from the coil and distributor (so the engine won't start). Put a socket wrench (with a long handle), or socket with a cheater bar, on the bolt and rotate it counter-clockwise until the wrench handle almost hits the ground. Get in the car and crank the motor ONCE. This acts like an impact wrench. I recommend using a socket that has a lifetime warranty...just in case. This method will NOT work for tightening the bolt.
Good luck!

Mark Z.

> How do I remove the crankshaft pulley in an
> automotic trannie ... 79zx? the manual tells
> me to put it the lowest drive gear... but
> that doesn't seem to work... neither does
> park(after I think about this I know why it
> won't work ... I hate automatics!) so how do
> I take it off withouth taking of the
> trannie???
> Akito '79

1 - 3 of 3 Posts