ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with gluing or RTVing an air foil to the rear hatch? In addition to using screws to hold it in place, what is typically used to provide a moisture seal between the bottom of the foil and the top and sides of the rear hatch? Any installation tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
most just use double-sided tape, unless the design specifically requires bolts. . .i suppose a silicone-based sealant would keep moisture out too. . .by airfoil are you talking about a spoiler, or something at the top of the hatch?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
ooooh how bout a pic of this air foil.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has the same footprint and look as the stock spoiler or wing or whatever the correct name is for the stock component mounted on the rear edge of the hatch. I don't have a picture available at this time.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Unless you are fairly experienced at this sort of thing -- might want to consider having it done at a good body shop? I would suppose it'll need to be painted to match the car as well?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I didnt use any double sided tape to mount my 90-93 style spoiler, which was a mistake.

Basically what I did was use twist ties and 3m adhesive pads (the kind with removable vynil/plastic covering the adhesive). I twisted the twist ties around 2 of the adhesive strips (in a + pattern) and stuck the twist tie part into the bolt hole. I put the spoiler on, and when I found the correct position, I removed the adhesive, pressed it to the hatch, and lifted the spoiler. The adhesive remained, with the twist tie being exactly in the spot I needed to drill for the bolts.

The problem with using bolts to mount is that you have to be sure you have the measurements EXACT. My spoiler is a little crooked now, and I'm going to have to drill out one of the holes to move the left front side down a bit to compensate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.