ZCar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dome light that has power going to it... the click switch works, but i cant get the door switch to turn the light on.

the passenger door switch is good, the drivers side is in need of replacing... and is now out... shouldnt the passenger side door when open make the dome light go on??

does the drivers side need to be grounded? i tried doing that and no difference.. what do i need to do to get the switch to make the light go on?? what am i missing here?

thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have power going to the light as it works with the dome light click switch but will not go on off activated by door pin switches. Passenger side switch looks good. Drivers is out. Should there be any power going to any wires on door switch or are they all grounds??

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any help on this would be great... not sure why i cant get dome light to go on off with door wires by grounding them..

·
Registered
114 Posts
I believe the switch with four wires goes on the driver side. The additional wires activate the buzzer when the door is opened with the key in the ignition.

I haven't looked this up but in my mind, you don't ground the wires from these switches. With the switch depressed (door closed) the switch is off. Open the door, switch pops out and completes the circuit, grounding those wires.

BE-25 in the FSM

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok... so are you saying there should be power at those three wires on the drivers door pin switch???

·
Registered
114 Posts
For context, I'm referencing a '77, 280z, 5spd.
In the picture of your switch, it is missing the housing. There is another wire soldered to the housing.
On my pedal box, on the outside of the brake pedal side, there is a silver cylinder with a plug that attaches to it. The other four wires coming out of the wire loom at that point attach to the four wires that should be on your door pin switch.

The 90 degree plug circled goes to the silver cylinder on the pedal box. The wires labeled A, B, C, and :) go to the door pin switch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think I'll have to go back and delete my posts. After looking more closely at the wiring diagram, The Ign Relay wire appears to ground at the ign relay. Sooo, opening the door completes the ground for the buzzer, dome light, and steering lock. I'd think grounding with wire closest to the tip of your switch should turn on your dome light. I imagine all three would have key on power so the buzzer, light, and steering lock would work if you opened the door with the key on. Would be weird if they didn't.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But if passenger door is open and that switch is ok. And dome light does not come on what can I look at? Fuses ok

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bulb, clean all contacts, inspect for broken/damaged wires, inspect grounds, make sure the switch is clean and working properly, and yup, fuses.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All fuses ok. Dome switch ok. Just pin switch drivers side. But passenger side is ok but done light won’t go on

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tried that and it does nothing but make my test light go on. Dome light does not go on. No buzzer. And what does the wire do for a steering lock?

·
Registered
114 Posts
You know how the steering wheel gets locked if you try to turn it without a key in the ignition? Steering lock... It's tied to the driver door pin switch. Possibly because it has key off power.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think it was the two on the sides. Hard to tell which bullet connectors they are from as they are up drivers side foot area by door side where relays are. So on mine I think the power were the two side wires and not the one on back.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts