ZCar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I was traveling back home from a trip across town to the big box store when I noticed a coolant leak from one of the hoses. Long story short when I stopped I noticed the inevitable smoke I knew it was too late.

when everything cooled down I pulled the plugs and stuck my handy boroscope down to see where it failed. cylinder 1-5 where ok, but it looks like cylinder 6 developed the leak.

I have a new headgasket, head bolts/washers, as well as a new mishimoto radiator waiting for me to tackle the job.

My question - How do I properly clean the engine and systems to make sure I don't have any coolant in the engine? Any other tips or recommendations are fully and truly appreciated. Really itching to get the car back on the road. Thanks all!

· Registered
1,420 Posts
I would change the oil and the coolant, make sure the head and block are super clean/dry/flat (use a good straight edge), chase the threads so you get good torque readings, follow the FSM re torque spec and sequence. After you get it all together and running a few miles you may want to check the coolant for exhaust gases with one of those test kits that samples the air in the rad (fluid in test chamber will turn green from blue if it detect exhaust gas in coolant). I guess my main concern is why did the gasket go? check the coolant passages in the head to make sure you don't have any oversized holes that pass coolant. They can corrode and grow excessively large, not good. Generally this happens when the wrong coolant is used which does not have corrosion inhibitors in it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.