ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found an old 240z that’s been abandoned for quite some time. Not sure how long though. I want to check if the engine is seized but I don’t know how to. I can’t try to start it because the ignition is missing and there are keys and there isn’t a battery. Anyone know how to check for a seized engine. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Put a 1/2" drive breakover bar and appropriate sized socket on the harmonic balancer bolt and try to turn the motor. Turn clockwise so you do not loosen the bolt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you can first remove the sparkplugs just in case some water found its way into the cylinders. It will also make turning the engine easier.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If you can first remove the sparkplugs just in case some water found its way into the cylinders. It will also make turning the engine easier.
I'd also recommend spraying a penetrating lubricant like PB Blaster or WD 40 in the cylinders and let it set overnight before trying to turn the crank.

·
Registered
829 Posts
All the above are good ideas. But WD-40 in its normal formulation is not penetrating oil. They do make a penetrating oil product, but it's specifically labeled as such.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently found an old 240z that’s been abandoned for quite some time. Not sure how long though. I want to check if the engine is seized but I don’t know how to. I can’t try to start it because the ignition is missing and there are keys and there isn’t a battery. Anyone know how to check for a seized engine. Thanks
Turn the cooling fan

·
Registered
248 Posts
As a personal preference thing, working the crank directly at the pulley bolt has some advantages in focused force and a better feel for what the engine will or won't do.

I would further suggest that if it isn't frozen to the plate, having someone dis-engage the clutch will take other possible issues in the driveline out of the equation and make this process easier, while confining feedback to the engine only.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts