ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you change the transmission and differential fluid in a 78Z? Where are the access plugs located?

As you can tell, I'm not a motor head, but I have a true love for the Z and want to take care of mine.

Thanks
Steven J

·
Registered
79 Posts
take it to jiffy lube, just make sure you know the correct type of fluid that goes in the trans. and differ. Also let them know you know, so they do it right.

I changed it once and told myself I wouldn't do it again. Unless you going with synthetic,(mobil one or redline)
Save yourself the time and effort. By time you buy the oil and pump(you will waste all day and get oil all over you without a pump) you are up to $12-15 dollars. It only cost $24 dollars at jiffy lube.

Just my experience. Granted I wouldn't pay 35 dollars for a jiffy lube oil change, but i think changing gear oil is worth it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i got my dif fluids change at a local shop for about $20. im not sure how to change that out. losen the plug and then force the fluid in some how.

changine trany fluid is kind of easy.
12-15 bucks isnt that much and is better then paying 25 for a jack ass to do it. you lossen the drain plug with a ratchet extention drain the fluid (make sure there is no metal flakes [tranny goin bad]) then clean around the plug hole and the plug, reinsert the plug. find the filler hole (upper part of tranny[i think]) and with the pump follow the instructions. shouldnt be hard. hope this helps.

will

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE:Changing rearend is easy</b>

It is funny that you find it easy to change the transmission, but didn't when changing the rear end. The rearend is a snap. The tranmission is tough becuase it is hard to get to and you have to jack up the car.
And really I don't think changing transmission fluid takes an expert mechanic.
Being that these guy do this all day long(change oil), I think with my proper guidance(yes I am squatting down and making sure he is doing it right) it can be done. Also on a 83 na it take 2.0L of GL4 80/90 weight when when you living temp is from 40-100 degree . and 1.3 L of GL5 for the rearend.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. Go to Jiffy Lube. I did the DIY gig once & will never again! When I had Jiffy Lube do it, I made sure they drained, refilled to overflowing, flushed, then top off to correct level. They were agreeable & didn't charge extra

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.