ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how to bend those darn round choke rods equally on dual carbs?

401 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  briann510 
#1 ·
ok, i need to bend those 2 round choke rods on each carb.

how do you go about bending them and have them both be the same for each carb?

in fact how do you even bend the darn things without having to take them off and do it on the workbench?

Post Edited (Oct 8, 9:48pm)

#2 ·
Re: how to bend those darn round choke rods equally on dual carb

Isn't there a screw that secures the wires?

When I had to balance my choke I just did it by eyeballing the little metal piece that it lifts up and down. Get the tops of those two level and you should be right

#3 ·

the 2 choke rods are even right now, but the rods need to be straightened out some so they contact the throttle tangs sooner. on my year carbs the only way to correct it is to bend the rods straighter so they contact the tang sooner.

right now the jets are dropping down sooner than the throttle opens and its running way to rich on choke.

#5 ·

any hints on how to actually attempt the straightening of the rod without taking it off?

i looked at it and figure ill end up mangling it more and might be better to just leave it alone.

#6 ·

Brian, the best way I found was to take the carb off the manifold and find out the measurement of the gap between the throttle plate and the carb body when the choke is opened. Then use a piece of wire for example and bend the choke rod with like a pair of vice grips which I used the last time and just bend it and until you get the proper clearance needed. With the carb off, your able to view how much it's opening and not just guessing. It may take a little longer doing it this way, but in the long run, it will have better payoff.

Dave

#7 ·

Thanks.

I am going to try and use a small rods that has spherical rod ends so i can adjust it very easily. i really dont wanna take the carb off the intake.

#8 ·

Oooo, Brian I think your on to something interesting there with the adjustable rods and links. Makes me think about raiding my R/C car parts, hmmm.

Dave

#9 ·

yea, i just threw out tons of RC car parts last week too! had all sorts of small steering rod and radio controller arms with those spherical ends too.

#10 ·

DOH! That's why you don't throw stuff out! You will need it later, don't listen to the wife or your parents if you still live at home! They don't know what they are talking about! Man, I need a electronic speed control too, I smoked my old NOVAK 410 MXC some time ago and I need a new unit, ****!

Dave

#11 ·

**** i just threw away all my old electronics for our RC car also. they had been under the work bench for 5 years without being touched. wouldnt you know trash pickup was yesterday too! ****!

im gonna head down to hobby shop and get 2 rods with the spherical ends. they shouldwork perfect and allow inifinate adjusting with a quick turn of the needle nose pliers.

#12 ·

well after all this wondering how to bend those things, i went out with a pair of channel locks and bent them both perfectly in about 20 seconds. i thought the rods were like hardened steel or something but they are very soft metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.