ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
You will need a timing light, and you will want to lookup what factory timing is set at. On my 82 280ZX it is 10 degrees before top dead center, if this is what factory calls for on the 76, you would want to set it just a little past that, like 12 degrees before top dead center. I do not have a book close to me to tell you what the 76 calls for from the factory. Make sure you disconnect and plug your vacume advance line. I would not run more than 2 degrees advanved though, any more than that and you can start working against yourself, or you will have to buy Premium Gas and buy octane boost on top of it, not a good idea, unless someone else out there runs more than that, and doesn't run into any problems. My own experience has told me 2 degrees is pretty safe. But would love to hear conflicting opinions.

Scott Milella

·
Registered
787 Posts
I can't tell what my timing is set at because when i rebuilt the engine and had it at top dead center I installed the harmonic balancer and the timing mark on it it was off by about 10 degrees. I have to set the timing by ear and if it pings then i went to far. Right now I'm reading about 25 TDC. I know this isn't right because The car probably wouldn't be running right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.