ZCar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a free '87 turbo that's been sitting for ~10 years. Some people have warned me about rust under the rear hatch, so I started taking out the carpet and, lo and behold: rust.

Does anyone with experience know how salvageable this is? I don't have much experience with rust, and even less with Z's, so I thought I'd come to the experts.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Well, the one thing most Z's and all of us Z owners have in common are the issues of rust. You're not alone in this wretched battle of rusted metal.
My 87 was similar to this, again very common. Some of that looks to me like superficial or surface rust. The rest, well definitely cancerous BUT I don't see any major holes or rust thru.... BUT if you're seeing this in the hatch area, chances are its in a lot more places and probably worse on the bottom. It may be worth draining the fuel tank and removing it so you can inspect that area underneath. I would just take a wire brush and try to sand some of that and get the surface crap off. In the area where the tank lid and trunk cables are starts flaking off and exposing holes, then you know got some problems. Gently scrub and sand and see what gets exposed. I am no expert at rust issues, but this is what I would do to start.

Have you inspected the other rust prone areas of the car?

Bon

Reactions: pilgrim

·
Registered
896 Posts
Looks like you mainly just have the two rotten panels (mine probably look exactly the same ha). New ones available here:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts