ZCar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this for sale a while back, here's the rundown. The seller bought it, says broke the engine mounts and launched the engine forward breaking the radiator, and then it's been sitting probably with no tarp for 5 years. I went and looked at it and all the glass is fine, just lots and lots of surface rust, some rust holes, and all the fabrics are destroyed. The seller was originally asking 8k for it, I've been working him down, he now wants 4.5k for it but I don't know if that's still too much. But I just don't know if 4.5 is alot for a rare car like this. Feel free to ask any condition questions that I may have left out details on. Thanks.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle door

Cloud Sky Wood Automotive lighting Bumper

Road surface Asphalt Wood Grass Tints and shades

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is a hard car to find these days but if you bought this you have A WHOLE BUNCH of work to accomplish. This is no small lot easy task. You need to prepare to probably spend 10k at least to get this car to a safe, reliable and attractive state. Time, money and lots sore muscles a scraped knuckles. I bought a 77 in 2018 and it was in much better shape than this. I’m still working on it . I Rebuilt the engine engine and found a transmission these two items alone cost me about $2000.
Several negatives about this car that you didn’t mention that also just it value. It has a V8 engine, and it’s an automatic. Two things that I hate in Z cars. So, without seeing all the rust on the car I’d say $3,500 is generous but that’s only if you have the stomach, time and money to bring it back to us former glory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
If it were me, I'd keep looking. Even if that car were free, I'm sure it would take me five years (I do have a full time job already) of dedicated work and over 10k to get that car running and structurally sound. Over 25k if I had to pay a professional to do the work. That rust you circled, tip of the iceberg my friend. I bet if you removed the sound proofing material on the floors you'd realize it needs all new floors and frame rails. If you're not able to do all those repairs, I'd keep my eye out for something like this. Yes, it's double the price you're asking about but it drives now and in the long run, will save you thousands and thousands.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree…keep looking an you find one. It will take time but it better to pay more for a car that has less issues. Rust is the mother of all wallet busters unless you are an experienced metal worker. Find a car with less rust and a stock engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,004 Posts
As far as I'm concerned it's a parts car unless you want a three-year, $20,000 project. You'd have to do the work yourself to make it decent. And the V8 conversion means you need an engine and to reverse whatever bad deeds the conversion did to the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts