ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out today and drove a really nice 77 280. It's got a year old $2500 Paint job, great job too. The enging runs like a top; 125K miles, couldn't hear or see anything abnormal. The interior is all brand new. All supension parts look brand new (he said he replaed everything about 2 years ago), car handles great and feels great. All new weather stripping. Overall great car, but here are the problems I found and/or the owner told me about. The front brakes squeek like mad, I'm thinking cheap aftermarked pads? The tranny (4 speed) needs some work, hard to get into gears, grinds going into first every now and then, gear shift rattels all over the place. He said it burns about a quart of oil every 3000 miles. The AC doesn't work, but heat does, he claims it only needs to be recharged. There is no rust. He has owned it since 87 and has all the service records since he has owned it. He is asking 5K, which seems good to me, but I just wanted some opinions.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
$3k. I got my 78 Black Pearl (58,00mi when I got it) for $1400. It has working Factory A/C. Had it painted for $1300 (black is cheap to paint). The paint job is show car class. It was even wet sanded. $5k is too much to pay unless everything work perfect.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I second the motion

I agree with Yo. If you shop around, you could easily get TWO nice Z-cars for $5K — and both of them would have working AC and smooth-shifting 5-speeds. (Ironically, if this were a mechanically inferior Triumph or something, $5K would probably be a great price.) Unless you've absolutely fallen in love with THIS car, I'd shop around a bit. If you don't find anything in a month or so, offer the guy $3K. Maybe he'll have come to his sense by then. BTW, squeaking brakes are nothing. The tranny needs rebuilding, or better yet, look around for a 5-speed. Figure on spending $150 or so for that from a private party or self-serve junkyard. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: squeaky brakes

hey,
my 1980 280zx had really squeaky brakes. i just got the rotors turned and the bearings packed and had some cheap aftermarket pads put on. the squeaking is gone now. i dunno how long they will last since they are aftermarket but anyways, if you do that it might help on your car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: squeaky brakes

Too much $$$$. I purchased a 75 for $2600 in the Dallas area and it did not need a thing. It does not have the original seats and that is it. Engine and transmission is smooth. Paint is a electric blue and has nice rims. Also it has a aftermarket
stereo with amp and 6x9's. I will get a look before guys that pay 10 times more
for theirs cars in traffic. Check e-bay or put a add in your local paper under Wanted..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.