Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a lead on a parts car, but i am curious what you
would pay for it.

i have a 76 auto, that i want to switch over to a 5 speed. anyway one town over there was this beautiful z i have seen around for the last 2 years, its body was in great shape, and had the motorsport aeroII kit. well after removing the bumbers, he hit somethin going very fast, and the car turned up at a body shop. so i inquired. i guess the engine still runs, and although the car was declared a total. the body from the front wheel wells back is fine, it has a 5 speed tranny, the interior is in great shape, american racing 15 inch wheels, and oh yeah a triple soltex carb setup. i am suuming this guy was into this thing for quite a bit of money, and i know he got an insurance check for it. so ther are probably several 1000 dollars worth of parts in the car. my question is does a totalled parts car sell for the sum of the parts or less, since it is a totalled car.

any info would be great, the guy called me today and i have to call him back this weekend.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i would have to say it would make a diffrence. being a front end accedent it could have damaged other major components. if not and your just looking at body damage then i would say offer $500 or so less. but im no expert and have no clue, this is just what i would do.

will

·
Registered
364 Posts
Value of used performance parts...

Mike,

Sounds like a good fine to me! There is always a sad truth for those that buy performance parts.... once the performance parts leave the store and are installed. They are typically worth only 50% of their value. The exception being carbs. Its a sad rule of thumb... but that
s what the market normally bears.... you may have noticed it on used performance cars... $30k invested... sell for $15k... it happens everyday of the week.

Feel the person that has ownership of the car out. See if they know what they have... if they don't... be fair... guess at what the value of the performance parts are and reduce by 50%.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Dennis

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
RE: Value of used performance parts...

"A car is a hole in the air, supported by wheels, into which you throw money."
I try to tell people that, in general, you will NEVER get your money back out of the vehicle, especially if you buy everything shiny and new. Once you realize this and resign yourself to that thought, living becomes much easier--it did for me. Sometimes other owners really believe that their car is worth the sum of the parts--it's not, you just have to figure out a way to convince him of that. Time usually helps, after it's sat in his driveway and his wife has nagged him for two or three years, they usually come around. Then again, you always find a few who will "Junk this car before I sell it for that little!" It's a disease, just walk away and hope you don't catch it.
Did anybody see that 260 at the Motorsports show? Receipts for $15000, sold for $3500. It was a good deal, if only for the parts as many were still in the Nissan boxes! THAT'S the way to buy a car and parts!!! ;-)

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
More directly, not more than $500!

Sorry, I got off topic, offer $250, and work up from there. Unless you can verify the parts are there, and you have a buyer, don't bid based on anything you can't see. Carbs: $250, Wheels: $200. A car in that condition at a police impound lein sale could go from $75, to 250 depending if the buyers had a use for the carbs and knew what they were. A fanatic at the same sale may drive the bidding up close to $500. If the owner can produce receipts and you can verify and USE the parts, you can rationalize a higher cost. I'd stick to the $500 limit, though, unless he has an LSD, then another $250 could be tacked on...
Remember, don't go crazy--you are probably only going to get 10-20$ for the shell when you're done stripping it, if that!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guy was mad cool

talked to the guy today, he was cool and in the know. the car was totalled by a highschool kid, who took a left turn through him. he knew what he had and liked it. he has already purchased a new 280, and is stripping what he needs, for his car. however the tranny which is what i amreally interested in he will give with all the tranny parts, to switch over my auto for less then the local yards. also i know this car works, and that is better than pulling a tranny from a junk pile with nothing left but an odometer that reads 200,000 miles. also the carb setup was a triple mikuni not soltex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.