ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a 280z at a local scrap yard and stopped in and snapped some pix and talked to the owner.

Body-wise, the car doesn't appear to be that bad. The engine was noticably missing the radiator. The interior is pretty well shot. Seats and door panels missing... etc.

I told the owner (who has about 25 z parts cars on the lot) i had planned on doing a complete restore and wanted to go with a L28ET and T5 setup. He said that he has a few turbo motors and he would swap drivetrains with me if/when i buy the car.

Im just qurious what you think the car is worth. I uploaded to a webpage to make it easier

Click here for the 280z pix

·
Registered
759 Posts
i didnt get to see the frame rails or under the carpet in the floorpans. But i would think that this is going to take a ton of work. its not just going to be buying parts to drop on it. but if your up to that go for it. I'm not the greatest when it comes to working with metal.... i wish i was. so you know what kind of shape the tubo motor is in? i would think that the motor and trans would set the price of this... if all is unknown i wouldnt offer more than a few hundred bucks. what kind of price where you thinking about?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
A "complete restore" on that car would easily be $10,000 in parts. It's missing all sorts of stuff and looks in pretty rough shape. If someone gave me that car, I'd just part what's left out. You'd be WAY better off buying a running car that was complete. Interiour work is super expensive, find a car that's nice on the inside and you'll save yourself what that car costs over this one by 2X.

So to answer your question, that's a $100-$200 car at best.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My God man. That car is worse than any of my parts cars that were given to me. Around here, you would have to pay someone 20 to 30 bux to take it at a junk yard. Unless you are blessed with an over stuffed wallet and have the paitence of of a saint, do yourself a favor and leave it alone. Heck, I'll sell you a relitively rust free 76 with an 81 engine in it, and paint it the color of your choice for 2 grand. I'm in the process of building it for my daily driver. Or, if you would rather, a sweet 81 turbo for 2K.

·
Registered
800 Posts
**** , I paid $500.00 for my '78 and it is pretty darn clean just needed a new head and that was on the spare engine that came with it

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appriciate it everyone. To answer a few questions....

I did see the frame rails and floor pans, they appeared to be in semi-decent shape.

I do have access to air and welding tools, although Im not a pro at metal working... i can get by i suppose.

I do not know the condition of the turbo engine(s) this guy has. He talked of them being in good shape but who knows. These junk yard dogs always think there parts are like ...gold bullion or something.

I agree on the interior, it will take a lot of money to fully restore it. ****, just missing the seats and door panels will cost me a few bucks.

I will hold off until a better z comes around... here in Florida, rust free isn't too hard to come across. Thanks for the comments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.