ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much RWHP (Rear Wheel Horsepower) is needed to run in the 12's or lower in the 1/4 mile? Please don't give me all that bullcrap talk and say alot and other crap.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but how accurate are those?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I would say you would need around 270 rwhp on slicks could mabey get you a real high 12 pending on your elevation im at 3000 ft.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the track I'd be going to is 90 ft above sea level. That is according to the tracks specs.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I don't know the first thing about math but I do know something doesn't sound right with having 270hp and 12's !!!! these two just don't go together! slicks or not no way 270 pony's will get you 12's or lower
like I said don't know much about math but I would guess somewhere around 500 horses and higher is more like

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I ran 13.6 @ 102 mph. Thats on the stock turbo boosting 10 psi. I broke an engine mount before I could run 13psi, but im guessing I could have hit 13.5 maybe 13.4 on 13 psi. I bet you with nitrous you could get your car into the 12's with slicks on 13 psi and an FMU
Check out this site. www.redZ31.com in the 12's and only spent about 6k.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay. Well I am gonna add nitrous to my set up. I'll start off with a 75 shot though and then go up from there. Unfortantly I can't use slicks well at the track, they don't allow it for street cars but you can use DOT approved racing tires.

·
Registered
782 Posts
270rwhp would be around 305-310 flywheel horsepower and at his elevation with traction a 12.90 would not be a problem. 500 horse power would net you a 125 mph trap speed that for sure would be low mid 11s. 1sickz ran a 12.0 @120mph when he was only dynoing 430rwhp. Im the one who has his old fuel system he dynoed the 530rwhp with. He told me after a upper intake and stuff I should run around what he did. All I know im shooting for high 11's low 12's with around 400rwhp but right now im still waiting on my nismo lsd to come 2 more weeks. Also waiting on my upper intake its being milled out.

Post Edited (May 25, 11:22am)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay. I have another question but don't feel like making a new post.

If my engine was good and sh!t. Lets say I added forged pistons too. How high of a nitrous shot is safe to run? My car has 130K + miles.

I would really love to run in the 11's but I'd be happy with mid or low 12's too.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Your stock fuel system with an fmu can go up to around 290rwhp but can be dangerous this is also about the limit of the stock clutch. As far as your engine goes people take the stock engine up to 450rwhp+ but the key is not to have any detenation, if you did bye bye piston #1 always leans first. You could probably buy a wet nos kit which means it sprays fuel and nos at the same time and safely run a 50-75 shot. As far as boost set it around 15psi and the factory fuel pump will only make 65psi max under boost with an fmu. So you should probably get a 300zx twin turbo fuel pump thats what I have and its plenty. Its suppose to be equal to the walbro 255lph. So you need twin turbo pump, a fmu BEGI's are good, and a nos kit and you will probably be happy with the power just dont get crazy and put in a 100 shot in may shatter the bellhousing or break a halfshaft. The most important thing when you spray is to make sure the timing is retarded.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How well does the drivetrain hold up with 400+ RWHP? Most likely I'll get the same transmission used in the twin turbo 300ZX's. Will the axles and driveshaft hold up with that much RWHP?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yeh the twin turbo thats the tranny to get its real strong. In my car im running a 85 5 speed turbo borg warner tranny with no problems. The driveshaft probably would not break if in good shape and the halfshafts well sometimes they break and sometimes they dont, wheel hop seems to kill halfshafts faster than anything. The best thing to do is avoid any wheel spin and if they do break its not that big of a deal. Its not gonna make you wreck or anything like that.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, will the R200 hold up well?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I am trying to learn my sh!t. Right now I am in the planning stage. Making a list of what I want to get and crap. I'll start off with the basics though like brakes and suspension then so on.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yeh the R-200 is pretty tough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.