ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Re: How much money do you put into a 280 ZX turbo

Its according to to the cars condition and how well it was kept by past owners. I've had my car since july '99 and I really havent spent a whole lot on it. The only thing that cost my more than 20 bucks was the alternator($45). lets see $20X2 for brake pads, plugs+wires+cap+rotor=$50, airfilter 10 bucks, oil pressures sending unit $18, muffler $15, exhaust repairs $20(several times until I did it right), used tires $12 a tire, and oil changes 10X $8. which comes to $366.

So thats $122 bucks a year, and this was a car which was not very well maintained with 117,000 miles on it when I got it(147,000 now). But its a non-turbo so it might be a little cheaper to maintain than yours.

Justin T
1980 280ZX 10th AE

· Registered
1,031 Posts

Just remember...you get what you pay for. $12 tires will perform like $12 tires and a $40 alternator will not perform like a beefed up $350 high amp alternator. If you want your Z to be top notch then just make sure you keep your account open and well fed.

· Registered
7,392 Posts

I know all about the performace of $12 tires they suck REALLY bad. The alternator is a god send for $40 got me back on the road last year and its still doing me good. Anyway they match the rest of the car. When you dont have any money you gotta take what you can get right?

When I get a good Z(mine sucks I'll show you pics if you like) I wont put crap parts on it.

Justin T

· Registered
1,986 Posts

Well I'm on the oposite side of ZX-AE, I've had my car since Nov of 99 it's an 83zxt I don't know the exact total, but I know I've spent right around 4 grand on it (2 grand per year), and it's still not where I want it to be, right now I have a post 3000 rpm stumble that just started. I do most of the work myself, unless it's something big that I just don't have the time, garage space, or knowledge. Here is a quick run down of the costs I have run into:

The major things that I have had to replace or had done included:
new turbo $300
tires $350
brakes all around including two new calipers and all new rotors, pads etc. $300
Air flow meter $450
3 broken exaust bolts removed $700
Turbo installed (had problems getting two bolts off) along with alot of other work $1250
replace exaust manifold with used $75
inspection and work done by nissan when first bought car (don't ever take car to nissan) $700
need to have tranny rebuilt $???

Now everyone in my family tells me to get rid of the car, I have thought about it, but I love the money pit too much, lots of fun to drive when it's working right. I just wish I had the knowledge and money to comletly restore, and supe up the engine.

· Registered
43 Posts

Well that depends on the condition of your vehicle if everything runs good now, you will probably find yourself saving for performance mods like intercooler and boost controller. And if you treat it like shi* you will probably spend money every couple months on head gasket or exhaust hasket or valve job or something else that would have lasted if you took care of it. My 82ZXT has 219,000 miles on it I bought it with 210,000 from original owner, it came with new rotors and calipers still in box, and they have yet to need to be put on. I have had to do a head gasket within first 100 miles of buying it but I only paid 1400 for it and then 700 for head gasket and shaving the head, thats why I got this perfect car for so cheap. The body and interior is perfect and now the engine is perfect the previous owner had just put a new 4 core radiator on it, he probably should have had the head gasket changed first but whatever. It has now been nearly 6 months since I have paid anything but oil and gas. On the other hand my 98 saturn has cost me about 1000 besides oil and gas on top of my 350 a month payment. HHHMMMM I think I should get my wife a Z too hehe.

Z-YA
Mike

· Registered
745 Posts
It all depends!!!

On what you want to do to the car. Do you want to just drive it? Then it really won't cost you much to drive just the basics. The most expensive thing I've had to replace was proubly the alternator. Datsun really should have put a better alternator on these cars. If you add anyhting to the system it seems like they don't last long. Anyway, I've replace tons of other stuff just because I wanted to or because I torn it up.

Such things include

HKS Intercooler kit
Greddy Profec B
Corbeu Seats
Drilled rotors
Centerline Rims
T4/T3 Turbo
3" Exhaust
3" K&N intake
3" A/F meter to turbo tube
New injectors
Custom Fuel Rail
New fuel pump
Rising rate fuel pressure reg.
New Radiator
Aluminum Radiator that I never got around to installing :-(
Poly Bushing
Dropped springs

This is most of the list I'm sure I could think of more if I tried But, my fiance is looking so I'll stop here.

Later,
Cody

· Registered
433 Posts
cody 82zxt how much boost?

how much boost are you running on the t3/t4 and with the new fuel parts what do you think you are delivering with the stock 280zxt ecu? To me I think its all about the fuel, if its not there then you've just inviteded detonation to reak havok on you baby.

tbs

· Registered
745 Posts
Re: cody 82zxt how much boost?

I run in the area of 13-14 psi on a good day. The car really needs a real fuel system but, the Rising rat FPR works you have to tune it a little depending on the weather. Colder more fuel Hotter less fuel. My best time at the track has been a 13.0 @ 107 so it's making some power but, I really need some slicks or Drag Radials. Anyway, I've been thinking of adding an extra injector or two but, I want to upgrade my ignition system first.

Later,

Cody 82 ZXT

· Registered
1,986 Posts
Re: EagerCrow

The one that was in the car when I bought it lasted about 6 months (that was the original Turbo from when the car was bought), the brand new (well rebuilt) one that I put in there has been there for about 1.5 years, Turbo's will last a long long time as long as you keep good clean oil pumping through it; change it every 3000, and let your car warm up before you run her hard, also let her idle a few minutes after a hard run, before you shut her off.

Josh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.