ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Approximately how much horse per one pound of boost should one see? Is there a difference in horsepower per 1psi with an intercooler? How much difference?
81zx turbo t3/ supra mkiii intercooler, but not hooked up yet.
Just rebuilt the motor, only .20'' over, complete blance job from front pulley to flywheel, polished crank, MSA turbo cam, crane 8.5mm spark plug wires, ngk plugs, manual boost controller, everything else pretty stock for now. What kind of power can I expect from this motor, before I put my intercooler in, at 6-8psi? After intercooler 10-12psi?

C.Wade

· Registered
40 Posts
spork is pretty close,as long as you have the fuel for the extra boost yes you should see about 7-9 non intercooled and 10-12 inetcooled depending on the effiecnce of the intercooler.

John Snead

· Registered
1,989 Posts
I know the subject of how much boost you can run without an intercooler has been an interesting topic. Everyone says something different. People like me and a few others are able to run 12-13 psi of boost without an intercooler and have no pinging at all. some people get pingng at levels as low as 8 or 9. The biggest thing to remember is to always run good fuel. I run nothing less than 91 octane in mine and I run 12-13 pounds of boost for almost 2 years now. But before you try this kind of boost make sure you have a few guages like a good aftermarket boost guage and air/fuel ratio meter like the ones from autometer. These will give you a good idea on how much boost you're actually runnning and how much more your car can take. If you've got the money I also suggest an EGT guage (exhaust gas temp) this will clue you in to when your turbo is making too much heat and the exhaust temps rise...if they get too high then you can also get detonation...and and you definetely don't want that. Be careful about which EGT gauge you get if you get one...you want one that reads over 1600 degrees and most of them don't. Anyways, happy boosting, and don't get greedy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.