ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my running 280ZX N/A engine ready to modify for my 72 as per Bryan Little's site. Might be an old question but would I be better off to find a running 280ZXT engine? (I'd keep it simple & leave it stock) I really wanted to keep my Z close to original with a bit more HP without going over board, but I keep reading that it will cost me more to modify my N/A engine for the increase in HP versus simply dropping in a turbo.

BTW All you lucky Zers in the US with abundance of engines bear in mind that I live in Canada were our funny money is not worth much.

Thanks
http://communities.msn.ca/My72240Z

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Not being from Canada, nor knowing which part you're in, that makes answering your Q a bit more difficult. My general perception is that people who know what they have with a good Z car turbo engine get top dollar for them. I've seen $400 to $500 for a turbo motor in the classies on this forum before, and a local guy where I live had two of them for sale for $1,000 each. (Keep dreaming, pal.) However, the local pick-your-part usually has a turbo car among its wrecks, and on one of the three or four half-price sale days (Jan. 1 usually one of them), a complete engine is I think around $50. (it might be $75, I haven't bought one in awhile). Complete means with all the stuff it came with still bolted on — starter, alternator, turbo, etc. It's a bit of a gamble as far as what you're getting, of course, and there are no guarantees.

Is it worth it? There's a lot more to retrofitting a turbo motor than just putting it in and bolting it up. Of course, there's a lot of work involved in getting 50 more hp out of an N/A engine too — which is what you get automatically with the turbo.

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
whole car...

I've bought the whole car at impound auction (running) for as little as $125, and paid as much as $450. All ran, only one had a turbo that made boost at the time, and one had a gutted turbo and basically was a verrry low-compression L28! Either way, with that, I got the whole car, and sold enough off them to make the engine and tranny basically free. I prefer the whole junker, rather than just the engine. Appearances don't count, just compression and smoke. If it doesn't run, I stick it below $200 and take the same chance you do when you buy the engine without seeing it run. Gotta love all those CV jointed rear ends, just ready to swap into early 240's!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Re: whole car...

ha, I bought a whole working turbo parts car for $200 I took the engine, wiring harness, and ecu. And am selling off the rest of my parts.

tbs

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
Smart man!

Why just take the milk, when you can get the whole cow for the same price?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Re: Smart man!

oh I have the cow I just am keeping the milk and selling cow parts.

tbs

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
"mooooooo!"

I have two cows, and am selling teverything but the udders. I am partial to mammary tissues...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.