ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my friend bought a lexus is300 on ebay a little while ago. On the page it was listed with 31k actual miles. When he got the title, it shows 36k NOT ACTUAL Miles. So he talked to ebay's fraud insurance agency and they said they will not cover it because they see the difference as only 5k miles (which doesnt devalue the car by at least 50%). They follow the kelly blue book price. He told them Ya 5k regular miles only makes a few hundred dollar difference but the main thing is that the milage is not actual. So my question is, does anyone know how much a car's value is dropped by having "not actual milage". Thanks a lot guys, I know this isnt Z related but I think this is the best place I can get some real info from the car gurus here.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Have you told us what the odometer shows? Or is this only on the title ?
(I guess I don't remember seeing mileage stated on my titles....)
What an odometer shows may not always be the mileage put on the engine soooo....it's value is what you will be able to convince others, as with anything, unless you know more about the car's history. Maybe that all sounds like a non-response, but in today's times it's all "caveat emptor"

(For some reason though, knowing how much less it would be worth is also indicating to me that he might not keep it??? Otherwise, I'd say don't
let 5K depress you if its a great car....)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
usually in a case like this, the condition of the rest of the car will tell you if there is any problem. Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on re-selling it fairly soon. If you drive it for awhile, it doesn't really matter. I've got a 61 CAddy that has 70,000 original miles but on the title it says something along the lines of exceeds mechanical limits...but the cardoesn't have 170,000 or 1,070,000. The next person that buys it will be concerned about how it looks and acts for the mileage indicated on the car. If it was a very pricy collector car, then maybe I'd worry about it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The effect of Not Actual miles or (TMU-true mileage unknown) depends on the car. 5K has almost no effect on a Toyota or Honda (or most cars for that matter), but TMU status can drastically effect the value of an exotic car.

In this case, he probably has next to no recourse except a civil fraud suit, but even then, the damages are likely not worth the time and effort. (assuming you win)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.