ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... I tried the Toyota 4x4 brake caliper upgrade. Thanks to 240Dave for posting such excellent instructions on Duncan's web site.

The upgrade has gone very well so far. But I can't bleed all the air from the brake lines. I keep putting fluid in the master cylinder and air keeps coming out the bleeder.

I did not do the master cylinder upgrade at this time. Could it be bad and is sucking air in from somewhere?

Also, I made the mistake of not getting the calipers "loaded." I ended up purchasing the pins and brake pads separately. Are there any other shims or clips I should get as well?

·
Registered
802 Posts
The best way that i have found to bleed the brakes on a toyota 4x is to close the bleeder and add fluid. Then pump the brakes with the lid off the master. Do this about 3 times and then open the bleeder and have someone step on the break pump it twice and on the second when the pedal is half way down close the bleeder. (if fluid is coming out) I have noticed that until the pads set the pedal doesnt feel as firm.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The more that I think about it, the more I believe that the master cylinder is damaged. I'll try your method and pump the pedal with all the bleeders closed. If I can't get a firm pedal it must be "shot."

I actually had the rear shoes replaced and both rear wheel cylinders replaced and the master cylinder worked fine when I took it in. The mechanics discover the front calipers were binding on the rotors so I thought that it was time to try "the upgrade." Now the master cylinder is gone. I wonder if they damaged it trying to bleed the rear drums with the front calipers damaged.

Lee

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Lee WAIT !! >>>

Make sure you have them installed on the correct side of the car!!
I know this sounds funny but I have seen it done.
The bleed valve must be higher than the incoming brakeline, otherwise you will never get the air out..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Lee WAIT !! >>>

240Dave's instructions were clear about this. And I did install them on the correct side.

Any inventory list on all the parts for a "loaded" caliper?

Lee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.