ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many gallons is my gas tank (86 n/a)?? I am going to full her up tonight and try putting acetone in the tank to see if it really helps my mileage and I will post the results after the tank is gone. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
It's 19 gallons and the whole acetone thing has been discussed to death on this website many times. Do it at your own risk but I wouldn't

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Nobody here can tell you if its bad to do. There is alot of info online about it. Google it, do some tests on youre own. Its been told if you do it in the PROPER amounts that it can have good effects. Some say it doesnt. This is something you must test on youre own. I dont see how it could hurt anything bad.

·
Registered
182 Posts
wait, i can only get 15 gallons in my 86 ZXT- they different for turbos?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
No, your gas tank is the same as anyone elses, 19 gallons.

What your problem most likely is, is the fuel sender unit is bad, making you think you have less gas then you actually do.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Yup, domdogg is correct. My friend used to have an 85 that he swore could only hold 9 gallons of gas. I would argue and argue with me about until one day I made a deal with him that he should swap out the fuel sending unit and or have the guage checked by a electrical mechanic. If nothing was found wrong I would pay any labor charges, diagnostic fees, or parts. I suggested we start with the Fuel sending unit first. We installed it and what do you know he could actully get 18 gallons of gas in the car when he let it go down to E. We didn't want to change running out of gas to get the full 19 in. So yes all 300zx's from 84-89 had a 19 gallon tank and if you are running empty before that then something is wrong.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Check your fuel sender to make sure that you're not reading empty when in fact you still have plenty of gas. My tank showed empty on the gauge at 9 gallons exactly, even though the manual (and the forum) kept telling me that I had 19. I replaced the Fuel Sending Unit for about $65 from MSA, and now my gauge reads properly.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Right by the fuel pump. I think all you have to do is remove the rear carpeting and you'll see the access port for it. Should be right on top of the gas tank.

Haynes pg: 140

FSM: FE-3

·
Registered
482 Posts
on some of the acetone sites, it mentions higher octanes isn't good for mixing acetone with. Since I have a TT, I wonder if mixing acetone would be a good thing in my case....does anyone have thoughts on this, would it be a good idea for me to try?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I must have a bad sending unite because before I put the acetone in I wanted to be as close to empty as I could so I drove my car until my car was flashing E and I was only able to put 17.86 gal in my tank. Also I only use 93 in my car and that is what I mixed the acetone in with, is that going to hinder the performance of the acetone?? Well I guess ill find out and as soon as this tank of gas is gone ill post my results.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
is your car stock? then yes, you're actually losing performance at the same time you're wasting money. nice job.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The point with acetone and octane is that sometimes if you are needing to use a higher octane gas...after using acetone awhile...you can use a lower octane...due to the carbon being cleaned up some.

Nas use regular gas...no need to waste $ on premium.

Wish I had your sending unit....though the 1/4 tank gauge is usually accurate...till the weather gets colder.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What's the harm in trying this. It's pretty clear that quite a few people are having good results using acetone. Just try it, in the correct mesaurements of course. If you keep track of your mileage and notice an increase, great. If not, then stop using it. I'm sure that 3oz in 10 gallons isnt going to make you car any slower, and maybe it wont get faster. But when i'm paying $3.15 a gallon for the 93, I couldnt care less. Afterall, i'm trying to save up for a Certified Muffler 3" exhaust system. :)

Just my 2c, not trying to be an ass.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.