ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the heads off of your TT. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the toughest how hard would you guys rate this. Will the engine need to be pulled.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Pulling the heads off of a V engine car is as easy as pulling them off of a I engine car. It's putting them back on that can be a pain in the ass. Just make sure you keep everything sorted and labeled and it should be a snap.

As for pulling the engine. No you do not neet to pull the engine. It can help to have the engine out of the car, but it does not need to be pulled.

·
Registered
525 Posts
See "zengineer's" post from January 8. Complete with pictures, a full engine rebuild done by him at home, with good narrative. He knows what he is talking about.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess my main question is can the heads be pulled with the turbos and manifolds still attached.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
not the intake and pulling them with the turbos and exhaust manifold still on will be a pain. Just take off the front wheels and take the mani's and turbos off. No matter what, the intake plenum has to come off.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Pulling the heads is gonna be a PITA. Might as well visit COZ and buy the full gasket kit along with the 120k kit. Though I will say this more then likely itll be quicker to pull the motor and take the heads off then it will be to take them off with the motor in.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
um did this precedure when removing my engine, i removed both heads and boy was it a pain in the arse, but enjoyable.

ok one major problem was the oil dipstick holder, its threaded through the exhaust manifold.

And for me i couldnt get the dam thing out of the engine block

Also theirs a freakish 10mm bolt hiding away near the front of the engine holding the head onto the block (your drivers side)

Post Edited (Jan 10, 3:13pm)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine is a NA, but I guess pulling the heads would be the same for the TT. You can take them off with the motor still in the car, but it is a complete pain (did this 1st time around when I only rebuilt top end). I think it is worth it to go ahead and pull the whole motor, which gives you so much more room and visability.

If you don't pull the motor, the intake has a mile of t.b. hoses you have to undo, along with the egr (2 12mm bolts that are awfully hard to reach and are so long that they bump into the firewall), and like swampman said, 1 10mm bolt that is on the outside of each head. Pass. side is near exhaust cam at the rear and the driver side is near the exhaust cam on the front.

Have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.