ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a motor stored at a friends in an old van. He sold the van & set my motor out side. fu#%!n idiot didn't tell me or I would have picked it up. I was planning on using it later. What has to be done to salvage it?

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's been outside about a month. it's rained some but much. i want to do as little as possible to preserve in. too many other projects to rebuild it now. my question remains.. is it sealed enough to be able to just move it inside or does it need to be taken apart & cleaned/oiled?

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
As little as possible.
Spray heavy oil into the all cyl's and on the cam(s). Rust is the only thing to worry about if you plan on rebuilding it anyway.

-mark

·
Registered
560 Posts
If it was running before it was removed & it's only been outside in the elements for about a month, get inside asap & let it sit. You know how water/moisture is. It'll find a way if there's is one. A month isn't long at all. Had you said 6 months then that's another story. True test will be when you install it.....Just being honest.....

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
was everthing covered up? intake hole and exahust? cam cover on and tight? fuel injectors tightened down so they dont let water in? spark plugs in? it should be ok! just do what everone else has said, spray some oil in here..also, dump the oil, take the cam cover off, and just drop all the oil over the cam... could also use STP oil additive to coat the cam...its nice and thick

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks. i'll go get it this weekend. never know when a spare will stop being a spare. he dumped a good drive train that was still in a 79. oh well can't get that back.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Worst case scenario is water in one or more cylinders, which will rust and freeze the piston in place. Have dealt with this a lot with boat engines, which often suck water into themselves for various reasons (hydrolock 101). So best thing you can do, as advised, is get oil in cyls and turn engine over with plugs out until all water (if any) is displaced. Obviously, you will want water out of crankcase, too, if there is any. But not as critical as cylinders. The good news is, you won't have any damage in just a month.
Also good advice above to pickle the engine as much as possible by removing valve cover and plugs and drowning it in goop of your choice. I usually use Marvel Mystery Oil, but friends have used AT fluid, too. This has added advantage of freeing up sticky rings, BTW. But heavy oil will work too. Sounds like you'll be okay with this motor as long as you get it inside for the winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.