ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting to be summer here in Phoenix again which means I need to start watching my temp gauge again. How far up can the needle go before I need to start worrying about blown head gaskets and warped heads?
Last summer I kept it a couple needle widths away from the small mark on the hot side before I turned the AC off. I would like to keep the AC on longer but not at the expense of my head. Any one had any person experice.

jared

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: how hot is too hot</b>

if your z is anything like mine was, it's probably running around 230 degrees. my car ran at the same spot on the gauge, and i confirmed the temp with an infrared pyrometer. this is too warm for a z. that kind of heat will lead to problems down the road, especially the head gasket. it can also break the heater hoses if they haven't been replaced yet. this will lead to a major overheat. you should have your radiator flow checked for efficiency. if it's below par it worth the extra money for a 4-core. replace all your hoses if you haven't already, especially the heater hoses.

my car had a partially plugged radiator and the head gasket leaked compression into the coolant system. i've since changed the head gasket, bought a 4-core radiator from msa (it was on sale for $220), switched to a 160 degree thermostat, and am using an electric pusher fan along with the stock fan. the other day here in washington state it was about 80 some degrees. with the a/c full tilt and the pusher fan switched off i was running only about 170-180 degrees. if all goes well through the summer i'll switch to a 180 degree thermostat for some extra heat in the winter.

-casper

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: how hot is too hot</b>

Hi Jared,

gauge reading on the Z's is a dificult task because of the way there numbered. To get good readings, I've gone to Autometer gauges... I like the VDO's too, but I like keeping them all alike so I have Autometer... much easier to read and it gives me a better feeling of know what the temp, pressure, etc. are vs a few hairs before the red mark. The cost wasn't bad either, I would stay away from cheap gauges... but thats just me. They maybe just fine, I just don't have the trust in them that I do with my Autometer gauges.

230 degrees is in the danger zone for street cars. I like my temp in the 180 to 190 area. but could be talked in to going as high as 205 with the a/c on.

Good luck
Dennis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.