Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Honestly, the things involved in car care that you just can't account for all the time. I was doing some annual maintenance on my 83T so I had it in my garage and moved the 07 Nismo to my neighbor's garage where I usually keep the 83T. So me and the wife take the Nismo for a nice ride. First time in about two months that this thing sees daylight.I notice all these little ropes going from the floor of the garage to the car. So I go to Home Depot and get a few bombs to set off while we're gone. As we're going down the road, the wife notices spider webs INSIDE THE CAR. I immediately start feeling things crawling all over me and so does the wife. It's kind of funny but not really. They have a nasty little bugger here in Oklahoma called a brown recluce. Best to avoid that little guy.

So I park the 07 and the truck in the sun for the better part of the afternoon with the windows up. My cooking thermometer says 120 degrees inside the car. Thank you Oklahoma heat and humidity. So do you think these guys are gone? I hate to exchange that new car smell for that of a neurotoxin. Any thoughtswould be appreciated.

John

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
<font face="mceinline">I doubt your spider friends will be gone just from the heat. I live in OK too (Edmond/OKC area)</font> and my car has been outside in the heat this whole time. I just noticed this morning some brand new spiderwebs under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I doubt it, I'd just vacume it down and then yank the seats and clean them down. I know those roadent/pest/bug alarm things don't work beacuse I go into my garage and find a ton of the lil bastards. Yet, it works on my brothers... Well, just clean all the nooks and crannies with a good vaccume and pull the lower pannels and do the same, then run the fans for awhile on high, this will force them out. If the spiders are there then there must be other bugs as well. 120 degrees is a breeze for spiders they hate cold more then heat thats why in winter you see less spiders outside then on in.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I doubt they are recluses they like dark damp areas not bright hot dry places. Get a pic of one and I can tell ya what it is.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Yeah there is a few species that look like recluses but only half are ones to be cautious about. The wolf spider and the House spider tend to be mixed up with the recluse allot. Iam not saying go stick your hand in and pissem off. But why worrie unless you get bit killin them shouldn't be an issue. I belive thats what incetacide "arachnid I know" was made for. Skittle is also correct too so unless your Z is a swamp I don't think they are reclusses.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi folks,

I keep having this image of going down the road at about 80 mph and having one fly out of the a/c vent right on to my nose. Then the carnage begins as I try to kill it by beating myself unconscious. I never did well with bugs. My neighbor's garage never gets used so I mow their lawn in exchangefor using it. It is easier than you think to put the truck and the Nismo in there and forget about them. Well, at least that will never happen again. I've also decided to fire up the leaf blower and give both vehicles a good airing out. Thanks for the responses.

John

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Just spray the inside with a scentless insecticide and then after a day do the vaccum thing.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
There is an old SF book called WASP about a guy who goes undercover on an alien world to raise **** behind enemy lines.

He tells a story to show how one person can make a difference.

A 5,000 lb car going down the road with 4 men each weighing about 200 lbs. A wasp enters the car through an open window and in the process and panic of trying to kill the wasp the car goes off the road and ends up killing all 4 men. Weight to kill ratio: better than 6,000 to 1.

Insecticides are your friend (in low doses).....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Knew a guy some 25 years ago that got bit by a brown recluse while sitting down in an outhouse. Talk about a bad day!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Had a guy in our Hospital a few years back that was in the City Jail and got bit by a brown recluse. hewould have healed within a few weeks but kept picking the bite area to keep it infected and stay out of jail. Also to make his lawsuit look better. Don't know what happened to him, I know he stayed for at least four months.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I guess evena spider can own things for being sued.</p>

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Spiders are predators. They would not be in there if there wasn't some other critter for them to eat! Happy hunting. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.