ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to swap out a motor in a 71z. The transmission is already attached? How much time is involved and what kinds of extra parts would i need to replace? The motor and tranny Im looking at was running when pulled. What do I need to look at in the motor and tranny besides a compression check turning the motor over by hand? Thanks in advance. Laterzzz Mark

·
Registered
93 Posts
I swapted motors in a 78 and it was easy, I removed the motor and transmision at the same time, Take the time to video tape the motor first than if you have a problem you can look back at the tape,
Also replace the clutch and rear crank bushing on the motor. It would suck to do this work and have to remove the motor for a clutch or seal.
If the old motor has a lot of oil leaks or burned oil think about rebuilding the motor.
Terry

·
Registered
93 Posts
And......
I used a cheap crank type wench to pull the motor, I put 2x4's on both sides of the puller and with the motor hanging from the rafters in the garage I was able to remove the 2x4's.
( they were from ground to rafter so when the weight of the motor pulled the rafters down the 2x4"s would be extra ceiling suport. I had nailed two together making a 4x4.) They were not needed.
Does this make any sence.?
Terry

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im sorry I was interested in how hard are the driveshafts, motor mounts, stuff like that. What I need to check when im looking the motor over and the the transmission over. I have a motor puller I can get from my job but it was the littler things i was intersted in knowing about. I have never done this before but I cant afford a full rebuild right now. Thank you again. Mark

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just got done doing a swap in a 74... did it in a weekend. pull the drive shaft before you pull it, there's a flange at the back. check the u-joints and crap... the motor I pulled, I just left on the hoist, pulled the oil pan and cleaned it out, sealed it and threw it back on. You know, degreased it and such. Dropped it back in, no problem with the mounts or anything. I would suggest pulling the valve cover and pouring a little oil over the cam... any direct questions, you can e-mail me at [email protected]... I only get on here every now and then... or wait, the folks on here are pretty smart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.