Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: how hard to remove, replace mustache bar bu

I am doing it right now for the second time. The first I don't remember how hard it was but this time... Man what a pain. My new bar is for the R200 swap and I want to use my urethane bushings. Well anyways I heated up the old bushing with a heat gun( tourch would probably be better. But do it in a well vented area.) and removed the inner pipe. I then took a flexible hobby saw and cut as much rubber out as possible and used a coarse drum sander in a drill to remove the rest. Only problem is I have a cordless drill and went thru both batteries. I do know that the first time I did this I didn't have this much trouble so hopefully yours wont be either.
If you do decide to do this spend the extra money and go with the urethane bushings they are well worth the trouble.
Hope this helps good luck.
-B-

·
Registered
743 Posts
RE: how hard to remove, replace mustache bar bu

Be careful with the heat and the urethane. That stuff will warp easily and won't go in right. I'd suggest heating the bushing holders on the mustache bar when removing the old bushings. The rubber ( I'm assuming) will really start to smoke so do it outside. When the old ones are out really clean up the insides of the bushing holders with 100 grit sandpaper until there is nothing but bare metal. When you install the urethanes put some grease inside the bushing holders and on the bushings. They should slide in without much trouble.

SpencZ

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
RE: how hard to remove, replace mustache bar bu

ditto spenceZ. I did mine last week with a propane torch! I put the flame down the two "holes" in the stock bushing until the rubber lit off, let it self immolate for a few, and whacked the center steel collar out with a hammer. While it was still a little smoky, I slid a thin scraper in between the remaining flaming rubber and outer steel collar and scooped it right out! it felt like thick glue was holding in the rubber. Inside was very little rubber residue left, scraped it out and a little grease: pushed the new bushings in with my hand! "Gloves optional" :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.