ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found on ebay a 1987 300zx Non-Turbo Automatic. The owner says that the tranny lost 3rd and overdrive. But other than that and a few rust spots the car seems prett good to go.

My questions are:

Q1: How hard is a tranny swap on a 300zx.

Q2: What would one expect to pay for a car like this with decent body condition. strong (owner says) engine but bad tranny.. It does hae a working digital dash.

Zel

Post Edited (Apr 17, 9:41pm)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I personally didn't think it was all that hard but I did the 5-speed conversion. It was just time consuming and I also replaced the engine bay harness with the one from the 5-speed donor.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Cost...depends on rust, timing belt, and other variables...

For a non driver, NA auto..-$500-2000 location and milage depending

·
Registered
657 Posts
as long as your putting the same model tranny back into it, its easier than a clutch job........... 2-3 hours with a buddy or a tranny jack......

·
Registered
123 Posts
i'm going to do the auto to 5 speed swap i will have to change the cluch and break pedales get a slave silinder all the cluch lines interer trim like the shift boot get a cluch kit it!!! the up side it will be faster to!!!! and if eney one nows will the drive shaft be different

86 300zx turbo no mod's

·
Registered
657 Posts
drive shaft will be diff....... i belive its shorter on the auto....... a new driveshaft from nissan will cost $749, so get yourself one out of the junkyard and have it rebuilt with servicable u-joints. I got mine done for $175.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i just did the auto to 5speed swap by myself with ramps and a jack that only goes half way up took me about 10 hours i changed the rear main seal while i was in there i ripped the tranny mount though trying to fill the gear oil i couldnt get the drain plug off so i tipped it on its side and changed the oil from the fill plug the driveshaft is the same length but the end that goes into the tranny is different from the auto i think the 2+2 and 2+0 driveshafts are different lengths

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.