ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for about 1 month for the shop to get around to my car so 2 weeks ago they said ok bring it in "yay" well 2 weeks later "2 days ago" they told me they don't have the tools to put the cam in.... THEM @#[email protected]%# $%#$% ^$#^$% $#% I'm one pissed little kid....

my engine has 103K on it and one of the cam lobs has a chunk taken out of it so it makes a ticking sound when you drive it well the guy at the 1st shop said that it sounds like there might be a sound coming from the bottom end "but" it could be that the rocker arms "11 and 12" are so bad that it echoes and makes it sound like its coming from down there "maybe" PLEASE OH PLEASE

anyways he told me of an import shop and the guy there seems really nice he has worked on alot of Zs
and says the bottom end is great on datsuns and that at 103K there should not be anything wrong with it

how good are they? do you guys think something could be wrong with my bottom end?
if so what should I do? sniff sniff sale it?=`(

he said don't worry till monday when he calls me but
how can I not worry=`(

if you're still reading this thanks...

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Built Like a Nuclear Bomb Shelter

Really, the ONLY way you can hurt the bottom end on these engines is to run them without oil. Even then you would probably sieze the pistons before the bottom end craps out.

Try new cam, rockers and lash pads, give it a valve job while you're at it- THEN and only then should you consider taking the bottom end apart. At 103K you need to do the timing chain and sporkets too.

Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Bottom end is rock solid on Zs.

I've seen several amazing stories of the toughness of the Nissan straight six bottom end. Why else do you think that Zs are still competitive in endurance races. Simple, strong, rock solid.

You should have lots of miles left on the bottom end of your engine at 103k. I've got over 170k on mine. Took the head down to a machine shop after blown head gasket (to have the head milled and checked): the valves, valve seats, and valve guides were "totally fine" and cam was in great shape. Too bad you are having the problem you are.

Good luck, if worse comes to worse, you can replace the engine with a crate motor for under $1,000 If i'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Built Like a Nuclear Bomb Shelter

timing chain was done about 400 miles ago
I hope sooooo much that its ok I love my car way too much and I never see many of them around

just stangs camaros and firebirds
and **** them toyotas and mitsus see more and more of them every day

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Bottom end is rock solid on Zs.

so far I have over $1000 put into parts and labor... and I have only put 800 miles on the engine.... Why me?
Im 16 and its my first car I do not have money and I do not like getting money from mommy and daddy.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.