ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sort of looking at getting a newer Z, and I'm curious how good those Zs they made from 87-89 are. I don't want the first few years of those cars because they were just too ugly, but around 87 they started smoothing out the styling so they were a little better. Anyways, mosty I just want to know if there were any bugs in those cars, or any stuff that's a hassle to deal with. I heard the first year of those they had problems with engine fires because of leaky injectors. I'd ask in the 84-89 forum, but I figure most of the people posting there will be biased towards their cars. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I have an '87 coupe and they are a lot of fun. I think that they handle better but it isn't as fast as my '82 280 (stock anyway) you are right, though the first couple of years are ugly, 84-86. I found that you could get a nice 87-89 for around $4,000-8,000 depending on milage.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I have an '87 coupe and they are a lot of fun. I think that they handle better but it isn't as fast as my '82 280 (stock anyway) you are right, though the first couple of years are ugly, 84-86. I found that you could get a nice 87-89 for around $4,000-8,000 depending on milage. The Z31s 84-89 were all recalled by Nissan for engine fires and if you take them to a dealer they replace all for free.
be sure to check out the 1999 Annual Z Car page

·
Registered
235 Posts
> I have an '87 coupe and they are a lot of
> fun. I think that they handle better but it
> isn't as fast as my '82 280 (stock anyway)
> you are right, though the first couple of
> years are ugly, 84-86. I found that you
> could get a nice 87-89 for around
> $4,000-8,000 depending on milage. The Z31s
> 84-89 were all recalled by Nissan for engine
> fires and if you take them to a dealer they
> replace all for free.
> be sure to check out the 1999 Annual Z Car
> page
xyzman is right, don't worry about leaking injectors. I used to work for Nissan, and almost all of the 2nd generation ZX's were recalled for fuel injector's. If you are looking at one to buy, just right down thw VIN# and call a Nissan service department and ask them to check for any outstanding recalls. If they say that there are none outstanding, that probably means that it has already been done. At this point, ask them what recalls have been performed to the car. As long as the fuel injectors were replaced, double check with them because I believe a recall is for life. They won't do it again for the **** of it, but if the one's they replaced leak, they will do it again. I can't remember if this is the way Nissan is with their recalls (I work for Daimler-Chrysler, and recall are for life), so double check to make sure. Many Maxima's had this recall also. I don't know much more about these ZX's except that they are heavier than the older one's and unless you buy a turbo, I don't think they're much faster. I do know that if you are willing to spend the money, you can make them go very fast. But, if you were willing to spend a good amount of money anyway, then you could buy a 3rd generation ZX which are awesome cars, and you get the twin turbo, it is an extremely fast stock car, although they are a bitch to work on and parts are quite expensive (try $300 for a headlight assembly last time I checked and it's total pain to change). The reason I and many others I beleive have gone with the older Z's is because they are lighter and the straight6 is more reliable than the V6. If you think about it, the I6's rods have their own journal on the crank, V6's share them. I am a great fan of the mighty V8, but that's all about drag racing to me, which you plan on rebuilding often anyway. Hope you like long mail! Happy searching!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about 3rd gen ZXs?

The 90-96 300ZXs are awesome! You said the parts are expensive, how about reliability? Would this be a good car for a primary driver, or should you have some econo-box for backup? I know they are more expensive, but are the Twin Turbo ones more prone to breakdowns?
I've been looking at 90-93 300ZXs for sale, it seems like every one I look at is painted white! What's up with that?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: What about 3rd gen ZXs?

> The 90-96 300ZXs are awesome! You said the
> parts are expensive, how about reliability?
> Would this be a good car for a primary
> driver, or should you have some econo-box
> for backup? I know they are more expensive,
> but are the Twin Turbo ones more prone to
> breakdowns?
> I've been looking at 90-93 300ZXs for sale,
> it seems like every one I look at is painted
> white! What's up with that?

Hey Scott, er, Pentastar, how's it going? Yeah, 3rd gen. are great! Nissan changed the Z from an overweight, luxury coupe to a more powerful, potent sports car. I would get a '92 or '93. The TT's are NOT more prone to breaking down and are reliable, but they require more preventive maintenance and understanding. If you take care of them, like letting them idle after running them (especially hard runs), they are great and you shouldn't have much more problems than an earlier model.

later,
LuZifer
'83 turbo project

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I'm sort of looking at getting a newer Z,
> and I'm curious how good those Zs they made
> from 87-89 are. I don't want the first few
> years of those cars because they were just
> too ugly, but around 87 they started
> smoothing out the styling so they were a
> little better. Anyways, mosty I just want to
> know if there were any bugs in those cars,
> or any stuff that's a hassle to deal with. I
> heard the first year of those they had
> problems with engine fires because of leaky
> injectors. I'd ask in the 84-89 forum, but I
> figure most of the people posting there will
> be biased towards their cars. Thanks in
> advance for any advice.

I own a '73 240Z and a '87 Turbo 5 speed Z. They are two completely different cars. the '73 is loud, rough and throughly a sports car. The '87 is refined and smooth. I have modified both cars pretty much, and the '87 remains a car which my wife can drive well. On the other hand, she'd rather not even ride in my '73. the '87 handles very well with Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks and is pretty quick with its manual boost controller, adjustable pop off valve, Jacobs Ignition, K&N Filtercharger, and HKS exhaust. Don't be afraid of the '87 to '89 Z's I believe they are the best value for your money in a performance car as they haven't been discovered yet, and were overshadowed by the '90+ Z's. they're great cars if you take your time and find one thats been taken care of. Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.