ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy MSA's 4 core radiator but have heard it doesn't fit. Should i just buy a 3 core from MSa or somewhere else?
thanks
matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: How does MSA 4 core radiator fit???</b>

I got one for my 5 speed 78 z, and they send me one for an automatic ZX!!! Holes didn't line up, but I just drilled new ones. Other than mounting holes not lining up, it works great.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just put one in last week -had to drill a couple of small holes for modification but otherwise fit fine . Jerry 83 280zx

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: How does MSA 4 core radiator fit???</b>

i bought one for my '80zx. when i recieved it, one of the lower fan shroud mounts was broken off. they didn't fit right anyway so i removed the other side and then soldered on the ones off my original radiator. i had to by speed clips for the rest of the shroud mounts and oblong the holes in my shroud to line things up right. i also had to shorten the screws that hold the shroud on, or they would of touched the tubes. i had to use new mounting bolts but the holes lined up fine. i had to run a new overflow hose because my original was too short and it was a pain trying to slide the hose on the new tube on the radiator due to the tight fit. i had to grind away the mounts on the evaporator because the new 4-core doesn't allow clearance for them. i needed someone to help me hold the radiator up as high as possible in the car before i tightened it down or it sat too low and i couldn't get the lower hose on. after all that and a new paint job on the radiator everything worked fine. i bought it on sale for $220 and am very happy with it so far. it was only $30 more than a new 3-core. what a deal, just took some work.

-casper

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
What I have heard each and every one of you say here is that it didn't fit. Works fine but it didn't fit. MSA has had big trouble with the 4 core coming apart and busting after a year or so. Wouldn't you rather have a better radiator that fits and costs less? Try Griffin Radiator. Even custom built they are less money, made of aluminum so less weight, and much higher quality. You can direct them to put things like temp sensor bosses and even AC evaporators built right in. Search them out on your browser. I am all for MSA in fact my car is an MSA poster child but when a product is a dog you gotta cut it loose.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. They stood behind it but mine gave out at less than a year. Even with them paying for the repair it's kinda a pain pulling the thing when you just dumped that kinda money into it.

The fins are very week (don't recommend using the pull tie mounts for fans, coolers or anything like that) I really wish I had gotten a good aluminum racing one like the griffen ones at the time.

-Trevor

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>What do you expect for that price?</b>

when i bought it i wasn't expecting a perfect fit, that's rare among custom parts. what i do expect is for it to last. i haven't heard myself of anyone having problems, and the radiator looked of sound quality. it had good solid welds along the tanks. $220 for an all brass radiator is an excellent price considering it's size. griffin can't build a custom aluminum radiator for anywhere near the same price.

-casper

·
Registered
345 Posts
RE: What do you expect for that price?

If you have to do all that work to get it to fit why not use a Camaro/Firebird aluminum 4 core - genuine GM quality and it fits.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

> i haven't heard myself of anyone having problems, and the radiator looked of sound quality.

Actually I've heard of at least half a dozen that have gone bad in around a year.

When I pulled mine out with less than a year on it it was leaking in 5 different places. The shop I took it to said it had a complete shortage of solder holding it together.

It's only about $40 more dollars last time I looked for the more efficient crossflow racing radiators. and that was the one that was custom made for the Z. The make fit ones are about $50 less than the MSA one.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<b>hey Roger and Trevor</b>

is that gm radiator a direct swap or what mods are required? and if they make an aluminum radiator to fit a z for that kind of price, i'm all for it. i've just never seen one for under $350. could you give us some names and places to find these radiators? that would be helpful. if my 4-core springs a leak, i'll most likely just get it fixed. it would piss me off if it only lasted a year. a 3-core modine at my shop price would of cost me $190. that's as cheap a radiator as i could find brand new.

thanks,
-casper

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine fit perfect and hasnt leaked in...

the 3 years I've had it on. I think you;ll greatly reduce the chance of leakage if you mount it with flexible rubber isolators.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<b>RE: What do you expect for that price?</b>

mine fit fine in the wife's 260. the new radiator did not have nutplates, I needed to get nuts to mount it from pep boys. holes lined up fine-fit and ran/runs great with a 160 thermo...

·
Registered
345 Posts

GM radiators are not cheap - but they are abundant on the used market. I have not done the swap myself but have talked to a couple of guy who did and they said it wasn't all that hard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.