ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '83 nt, which should have hydraulic lifters, but am not sute that that is what I got on the car. I see screw adjusters and locking nuts, although I would'nt know the difference as this is my first z. Is there some sort of lettering, or is it just by knowing what you are looking at? If it is not the original head and is infact a solid lifer head, it probably needs adjusting, which might as well get done before I put this thing back together. It was ticking a bit, but I also had a manifold leak which could do that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx,

Dylan
Calgary, Alberta

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Re: How do ya identify a head with hydraulic lifte

The hydrolic head only came on turbo models and they are marked p90a. But not all p90a's are hydrolic I've heard stories of some having solid lifters.

You head has solid lifters, unless it says p90a.

Justin T

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: How do ya identify a head with hydraulic lifte

So that would explain my tick... So the next question is how do you adjust the things? should this me done while everything is warm?

·
Registered
373 Posts
The ticking...

Remember that the injectors create alot of ticking noise. Make sure the noise is coming from the lifters (or followers, to be exact).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: The ticking...

Yeah, they do make a fair bit of noise, but mine is significantly louder than my friends car, but also I discovered a manifold leak on 1 and 6 which apparently makes a tick. If it presists after I get it all back together, I know it's valvetrain. I'm jsure they've never been adjusted.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey im from Calgary too.

I have a 88 and a '73. I hope to be putting a 280ZXT engine in the '73 soon. =)

Dont know much about the lifters though. Are the hydraulic ones considered better?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Hey im from Calgary too.

I dunno. People actually have been talking about converting their hydraulic units to solid lifters because they can handle alot more rpm, but are noisier. Also solid lifters can handle a bigger cam and stiffer springs. The upside to the ydraulic units is they don't need service.

By the way, shadoZ, I'm actually in Airdry. I just wrote calgary because it's two minuts from here and people would actualy know where I'm talking about. Personally, I would love to have a 240. I will have one within the next few years, but need to fight my way through my edjumacation and all the costs associated. So till then, it's a zx in reasonably stock form unless I come across something I can do for cheap\

Dylan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.