ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how to disassemble the headlight/wiper switch to clean the internal contacts? I have intermittent headlights, and suspect the switch or wiring (even though its the 3rd switch, but all from pull-your-own junkyards).
My observation is that sometimes there is power to the headlight fuses when the switch is on and sometimes there isn't. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Mike Golding
72 240Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you're smart, you don't.

> anyone know how to disassemble the
> headlight/wiper switch to clean the internal
> contacts? I have intermittent headlights,
> and suspect the switch or wiring (even
> though its the 3rd switch, but all from
> pull-your-own junkyards).
> My observation is that sometimes there is
> power to the headlight fuses when the switch
> is on and sometimes there isn't. Any help
> appreciated.

> Thanks
> Mike Golding
> 72 240Z

If the switch is the culprit, which I doubt, the safest way to clean it is with some electrical contact cleaner and an air compressor. However, if you've had the same result with 3 different switches the interruption is almost surely somewhere else, such as a wire with a broken element inside. Wires that have been pinched or spliced are the most likely suspects.

I'd recommend you invest about $3 in a pen-type voltage tester at the local auto supply or drug store and poke around the wiring for a break. When you find a location where the current is weak or non-existent, that's where the problem is.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: If you're smart, you don't.

> If the switch is the culprit, which I doubt,
> the safest way to clean it is with some
> electrical contact cleaner and an air
> compressor. However, if you've had the same
> result with 3 different switches the
> interruption is almost surely somewhere
> else, such as a wire with a broken element
> inside. Wires that have been pinched or
> spliced are the most likely suspects.

I would agree the chances are high that the problem is somewhere else.. but then again cleaning out the switch can't hurt. It will probably have to be done at some point anyway, those switches are notorious for causing problems. Take the assembly off (by removing the two screws) and take it to a workbench if possible. The headlight part of the switch is the top one on the right, remove the 3 screws holding it on and be careful not to lose any of the little bits that are inside. The rocker portion comes out, clean it and the other contacts with sandpaper then re-assemble. It wouldn't hurt to re-solder the wires on top, mine were coming apart when I did this. You might as well do this to the other switches while you're in there, but the turn signal switch doesn't come apart so contact cleaner sprayed inside will have to do.

If you still have the problem, at least you've eliminated this as a possible cause..

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try it, and I got a new harness today!!!

I'll try the cleaning, and I got two wiring harnesses from the pick-n-pull today, time to clean it all up, organize it and rewire! Hopefully fix a few other probs too. Wish me luck,
Mike Golding 72 240

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.