ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that a turbo conversion should be pretty straight forward. The only thing I'm worried about is the wiring. I have a mallory ignition for that side of things that is already in the 240 and working. Can I just isolate the wires coming out of the ECU, with the engine, and plug them back into the same ECU that I will mount in the 240? Also are there any drawbacks to using a mallory distributor on a turbo engine? I want to do this conversion, I have all the parts, but I am worried about a wiring nightmare, as the 240 is intended to be a daily driver, and I need a car to drive soon. I need advice, on this one so I can possibly start next weekend, please advise.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: How difficult to put Turbo eng. & ECU in a

Don't plan on doing it in one weekend. It's easy, but not that easy. Something will always go wrong. On the 82/83 turbo motors the crank sensor is built into the distributor, so you can't use the mallory in those motors. The 81 has the sensor crankshaft mounted, so you may be able to use it on that motor. I'd recommend against it, though. Stay as close to stock as possible when first doing the swap. After you get everything running right, then upgrade one thing at a time. remove all the wiring intact from the turbo car. The engine/injection harness can all come out together with no cutting. Only about four wires that run under the dash from the ECU need to be cut, all the others can be removed unharm. As a matter of fact just unplug the harness from the ecu and pull the complete harness with connector through the firewall and roll it up on top of the motor. The wires under the dash you have to cut are the "run", "start", signal wires. Just trace and mark them. Don't forget about the new exhaust you will have to build. be sure to use fuel injection hose for all connections. Plan your fuel return line as well. Some people use the vapor line as the return line. others add a new fuel line and use the old one as a return. All of that can be done before the motor swap to save time. It also helps immensely if you can find a known good running motor to transplant. Maybe a badly wrecked car as a donor. That way you know it works, especially the electronics, after you transplant it. Good luck, take plenty of notes and pictures.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
529 Posts
RE: How difficult to put Turbo eng. & ECU in a

Don't use the Mallory. Trust me, it will be a hassle. I have done it and it doesn't work. Here's my story:

I did a conversion on my '71 240Z. The donor was an '81 turbo. I used all of the stock ZXT parts and installed them in my 240Z. When I tried to fire it up, it only ran on 3 cylinders. I couldn't figure out how to make the stock ecu run the ignition like they do stock. My solution was to use a Mallory Unilite distributer and an MSD 6-BTM. I figured that the MSD would be able to cope with the timing. Wrong. It pinged like crazy no matter what I did. I later found out the I was missing an electronic part that fires the coil so that the ecu will run the ign. That part is found on a stock ZXT coil bracket and it is a power transistor. With the ecu running the ign., you will be able to use the knock sensor and the ign timing will be correct. If you are interested in knowing what wires to connect to where, I have it all written down and I will send it to you. You can email me or call me at (559) 346-4480. Otherwise, good luck!!!

Ian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.