ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying my first z-car. I don't want one of the bloated "ZX" cars, so I've restricted myself to the the "Z" types - most likely a 280z. I was wondering how safe these cars are and if there are any safety features built in, like steel bars in the doors, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Not very. None of them are anywhere near as safe as a late model car. The earlier 240's are the worst. The later 240s and 280s had more reinforcements in the doors. The 280s actually had a functioning bumper. Other than that they had no real safety devices or crash protection. I would dare say the best safety feature they have is there excellent handling. Not a problem to avoid most accidents. If you hit anything with any kind of speed you are going to do serious damage to the car as well as yourself.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>And in most cases......</b>

The Z will go under any car ya hit in the rear... so like the corvette... the safety feature is you sit near the rear of the car.

Dennis

·
Registered
287 Posts
280 bumbers work

why i wouldn't recommend hitting anyone, i had an accident in my 280. i was going about forty, right behind this 95 jetta, when i saw the brake light come on, my brakes were bad(i have had all new ones put on since).
anyway i slammed into the jetta while braking, i smashed in their trunk, knocked the exhaust off the car, and hit the car hard enough to knock it into the sport utility thing four feet in front of her hard enough to smash in the front crummple zone, also my bumber actually went through hers.

while my car was not pretty, the hood bit it hard (have seen a lot of z's around that all have smashed down hoods, and my right hood hinge snapped, as well as a minor crink in the headlight case.

got a hood and the hinges for fifty bucks from a yard, sorry slim i coulnd't see paying 300 for a new one just to fell better about myself.

brought it to a body shop and the frame was still straight, although the hood hinges were a real pain in the neck to change so i wouldn't advise hitting anything.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Crash safe? Hahahaha</b>

Three thoughts to add:
1) Zs are probably safer than Pintos
2) Make sure your life insurance is paid up.
3) Zs are cheap enough that if you wreck one and live through it, you can just throw it out and buy another.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I wouldn't want to be broadsided by a SUV...

Mike wrote:
-------------------------------
I'm thinking of buying my first z-car. I don't want one of the bloated "ZX" cars, so I've restricted myself to the the "Z" types - most likely a 280z. I was wondering how safe these cars are and if there are any safety features built in, like steel bars in the doors, etc. Thanks!

I know one thing..I do not want to be broadsided by a Ford Expedition in my 260z. There just isn't much there in them doors....

I would think its a bit better with all that engine between you in a frontal impact though....

The Z's gas tank is at "ahem" *interesting* location in the early Z's....

Whatever you do---know the limitations of the brakes systems in the early Z's.(no tailgating!)

And fix,upgrade the brakes if necessary....

(from personal experience with my 260z)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: I wouldn't want to be broadsided by a SUV...

I would definately agree that the safety feature is in where you are sitting in the Z, the rear end of the car. Four years ago I had a 79 280zx. This truck jumped in front of me (His fault he was turning left in a place he had no business) The front of the Z pretty much went under this truck bending the hood clear up to the winsheild. Good thing it was a tall truck or the engine would have squished me to death. I also agree that they are inexpensive enought that you just go buy another one. I now have a 75 280z. Any wreck you get in with any car is a risk. Just avoid them if possible and definately upgrade the brakes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I heard about this drunk guy

It was on one of those TV shows... scary police chases or something like that. (I don't watch them, someone told me about it). A drunk guy was driving a 280Z, being chased by police at over 100 mph. He slid sideways, rolled four times. Cops arrested him, a cop drove the car to the impound yard. There were dents on both doors and the roof, but no serious damage. That said, I would agree that cars are made to drive, not hit things.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: I heard about this drunk guy</b>

The best one I've heard so far was in an article in Z Car Mag. They said that the only thing the doors do on a 240 is hold the paint up.
As for the front, I once rearended some guy in a Toyota pick-up with a SmittyBuilt bumper on his truck. We both get out of our vehicles. He looks at my car, front badly damaged, then wipes my blue paint off of his bumper, looks at me and says, "you o.k.?" I said, "Yeah" he says,"See ya." not a dent on his bumper or truck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
My crash story.

April 21, 1996:

My Z (a '71)

A Lexus 400lsi

Lexus Driver who fails to understand the significance and importance of Stopsigns.

Broadsides me.

I spin.

Into a Cement Light-pole-stand.. 3 feet high, 2½ feet in Diameter.

The car dies.

I lived.

Good seatbelts.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: My crash story.

I hit an 80lb dog that leaped out from behind a shrubbery...I lost the front air dam into various pieces, the hood was toast the radiator had fan bites out of it, the cowl was crinkled, the pass door hits the front fender now upon opening, both front fenders folded above the center of the front wheels and what ever it had for lunch was all over my hood, fender, door, tire and wheel cover on the pass side.

The dog went 100 feet before it began to skid to a stop. I swerved left and came to a stop while people passed my car, hood and fenders bent up, with antifreeze steamming off the engine and pooring on the ground... no one stopped to check me out but by the time I had pushed my car off the road into a nearby parking lot someone had called the police, who came and got the dog, brought it to the pound, called the owner, and he was on his way to pick up the dog while I was still wondering what just happened.
I called the police who denied that the "Governors dog" was really "his" dog, but a maid's who no longer worked at the governor's mansion....

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>That's a DOG-GONE SHAME!</b>

I later crashed the same Z through a drainage ditch and a telephone pole guide wire, then rebuilt it again. I had to have the frame straightened that time, and replace a front strut etc.... I came out OK dah dah dah KKK K OK? OK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.