ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, well the question is the topic....i have a 1982 280zx Turbo. And when i idle in the morning if i listen real carefully i can hear a little hum comming from the back of my car ( assuming that this is the fuel pump ) is there a way to check to see if my fuel pump is still good or not? post it up and thanks a bunch.

Matt

· Registered
80 Posts
If you have to listen carefully for the noise, there likely isn't a problem. On my 83 turbo the noise was so loud I had to turn up the radio! I replaced the pump with a new Nissan unit and it was still loud. Turned out to be the fuel regulator. Pressure was at 60psi at idle, should be 36psi.

Hope this helps

Kevin

· Registered
4,289 Posts
Put a Fuel Pressure Gauge between the fuel filter and the upper fuel rail.

32 PSI at idle. Disconnect the vacuum line from the FPR and the pressure should not exceed 42 PSI.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Because your Radio's broke!

Seriously, you CAN hear it. The turbos had a fuel pump modulator that slowed the pump down at idle so the sound wasn't so noticable, but it's a mechanical device. They make noise. Unless you hear some radical popping or smell smoke, it's normal.

· Registered
133 Posts
Mine was noticeably loud after I had been driving a while. Also, I had some problems starting the engine. Turned out, my battey had a bad cell, I was getting poor voltage, and after replacing the battery, things worked a whole lot better...and quieter...

Art

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.