ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just need a few tips on HP increase on the 2.4L with automatic tranny, but i would like to keep as many major items stock as possible! (i want to keep the stock z2.4L engine) the carbs are 1971 'round-tops', and the smog stuff was mostly removed and plugged up, and took off the a/c belt.
i'm going to take off the cad.
also if i put in a better coil, is there anything related to it that needs to be changed as well?

thanks!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: how can i more horse power on my stock '73 240

Some quick and easy upgrades:
Get the SM needles from Ztherapy.com for your carbs.
Upgrade the coil and wires
Consider a cam that matches your intentions for the car (.450 272/282 would probably be a good choice)
Headers and a free flow exhaust

If you're looking for more, there are several ways to go, but this would be a good start...

If you're going to do more, raising the compression and some additional head work would be required if you're staying with a NA configuration.

·
Registered
887 Posts

U shouldnt have a cadaletic converter on a 73 at all so U should look and see.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts

Definately go with free flow exhaust (2.25" or 2.5"), replace stock air filter with a K&N unit, eliminate the clutch fan in favor of an electric 14" puller fan, advance timing, put a good complete tune up on it including valve adjusting.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

i havea 73 with round tops as well.. i changed the ignition to a zx unitand ran a hotter coil.. slight pickup in power with good ngk plugs stock number 4291.. vpower..alot more reliability than points. i also modified my air intake unit to get more air in.. small increase again..maybe think about grose jets(dependability) for the carbs and sm needles.. better exhaust is pretty key to hp and should probably be done first along with intake.. headers and free flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
600 Posts

And if you are 19 or younger add lots of yellow stickers, those always make a car faster.

·
Registered
685 Posts

Sonic, here is a web site that I think will be of great interest to you, give it a look. geocities.com/zgarage2001/engine.html Good luck Gary Portland Ore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.